Just bought a Winner Wildcat 1972

Tinduck

Recruit
Hello All,

Thanks for accepting me into this forum. I am from germany and active in german boating forums, but as I just bought a Winner Wildcat 1972, this forum seems to have way more information about these boats than the german ones.
Nice to read that those were quality boats - we were just looking for a cheap boat to get some experience in boating (did my license in autumn 2021), so we got this one for a good price including trailer and all necessary stuff like winter cover, harbour cover, bimini top, fenders, lines, anchor and a bunch of spare parts on top.
It is the inboard/outboard version with a 302 cui Ford small block and a Volvo Penta AQ280 drive. The motor does not seem to have been marinised (is that the correct term?) by Volvo but by Waukesha - the alternator and sea water pump are on the wrong side of the block for a Volvo. I found some information about Waukesha and even managed to download the old manual.
Of course there is work to be done - there is a soft spot in the floor (under a crack in the fiberglass, rest of the floor feels solid) which I will have to address and some gauges do not work properly, but the motor runs fine and the z drive works too.
Additionaly, I will install a sea water filter (none installed) and a fuel filter with water separator (not installed).
The hull is in good condition, some scratches near the keel (but no fiberglass damage) and in some places, the antifouling has cracks and peels off, but nothing that cannot be fixed with some hours of work.

I guess I will have some questions in the course of this project - for now just some photos, unfortunately only while on the trailer. March/April is sooo far away :-(

Best,

Uwe

wildcat01.jpgwildcat04.jpgwildcat03.jpgwildcat02.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
First, welcome aboard

The soft spot in the floor means the floor is rotten. It also means the stringers and transom are rotten as well.

Plan on a full hull restoration. See the restoration forum, 4th sticky down has all the information you will need. Liik at links 14, 15, 18, 2, 3, 4a and 4b

The motor and drive are not original to the boat. The motor has an aftermarket intake on it. It may be a marine intake (with brass water passages - Edelbrock 2504) however it should say Edelbrock marine. My guess it is an automotive intake

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some-----Winner----boats used fiberglass stringers.-----But the one I repaired for my brother still had a wood transom.-------Time to check out the transom I think.

Tinduck

Recruit
Thank you for your replies!

The transom seems sound, no soft spots, water marks or sunken screws and sounds solidly when tapped. Not moving in any way when stepping on the z-drive.

Will attack the floor when weather allows - only have outside storage. Cut out the rotten piece or replace floor altogether depending on what I find. When the floor is open, stringers should be accessible to see whats going on there.

Yes, the intake is an edelbrock performer the previous owner put in, together with the 1409 carb (which is a marine one). Not sure if the intake is a marine one, have to check - I think it isn't because Edelbrock sells none for Ford small blocks. If not, planning to replace it with an old Mustang cast iron one, although the 4 bbl ones are rare to find. Thank you for hinting to the 2504 Edelbrock intake, but that one is for chevy blocks... If all fails, will convert to closed circuit cooling system with heat exchanger.
The rest of the motor seems to match with an old 1972 Waukesha manual (exhaust manifolds, risers, placement of alternator and sea water pump) so it may be original. Also, there is a Waukesha brand plaque on the outside above the z drive (you can see it when zooming in on the picture of the stern in above post). Origninally, there should have been a Volvo 270 z drive installed, guess this was replaced with a 280 at some point. It also has a hydraulic unit for lowering the z drive and trimming, found a manual for that one too.

Yes, there is some work to do, but I see that as a good opportunity to learn about boats :)

matt167

Captain
The only way to really test the transom is to drill test holes with a 1/4” bit and check for dry shavings. A boat that old with a rotten floor isn’t going to pass the test. Be prepared for the worst