Johnson 9.9 Hard to turn over after rebuild

FiBerOpTiK

Cadet
I am in the process of rebuilding my 1984 Johnson 9.9. I completely tore the powerhead down and installed new piston rings, honed the cylinder, and reassembled using assembly lube and all new gaskets and seals. I had to replace one of the pistons due to a piece of metal chipped off the piston around the ring. Cylinder had no scoring at all, I got lucky.
I have gotten the powerhead reinstalled on the midsection and got the starter, stator/magneto assembly and flywheel back on.
This thing is really hard to turn over. I can barely turn it with one hand with plugs removed by turning the flywheel, but not easily. I threw a compression tester on it and only get around 40 PSI with both the electric start and trying to pull it with the rope. Keep in mind this thing is not turning over very quickly at all, which is why I think the compression is low. I cant hold my finger over the spark plug hole while turning it over, it will push my finger off.
I thought the battery was just dead at first, but charged it up and getting same result. It will turn it over a few times pretty quickly then just slows way down to like one revolution every couple seconds.
Is this normal for a complete rebuild or is something wrong?
What should I check? I hate to pull this thing completely back apart, but I will if something is wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Something is wrong.----You did fit the center bearing on the dowel ?----And the upper bearing pin in the recess in the block.-----Best to take it apart again before you do $$$$ damage.

FiBerOpTiK

Cadet
Something is wrong.----You did fit the center bearing on the dowel ?----And the upper bearing pin in the recess in the block.-----Best to take it apart again before you do $$$$ damage.
Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I did make sure those pins were in place when reassembling.
I tore back into it last night and I think i found the issue. Of course I am going to have to buy a new gasket set as when you use gasket sealing compound none of those gaskets survive, but oh well.
It seems to be the seal in that cylindrical lower crack case cover. I think when i replaced the seals in that thing I didnt get them pressed in far enough and they were rubbing on the bottom of the crank. I pulled that thing off and the engine spins alot easier with it removed. I pounded those seals in a little farther and reinstalled and that seems to have done the trick.
Once I get some new gaskets Ill put it back together and see if that was it.
Thanks again

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
When assembling back both halves and any other part that relies with a gasket torque them well with a torque wrench to their factory specs...

Happy Boating

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
When assembling back both halves and any other part that relies with a gasket torque them well with a torque wrench to their factory specs...

Happy Boating
Might I add, test for unusual binding with flywheel key lightly installed and put flywheel on fully without the flywheel nut BEFORE installing powerhead.

Move the crankshaft in the normal rotatation gently and check for binding or wierd noises without spark plugs installed.

You should be able to turn that crankshaft consistently without any binding at any time.

The checking for binding is called out/specified at least in my OMC factory service manual.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
First thing I do after tightening the crankcase screws is turn the crankshaft to check for binding.-----When you work carefully and with experience there are no surprises !