Johnson 6hp CD-24s Oil Return Hose

BillyB11

Seaman Apprentice
I have embarked on fixing up an old 1967 Johnson 6hp outboard (CD-24s) that has been sitting in my grandpa's shed for about 7 years. I do not have any experience restoring engines, but have decided to take this on so I can learn. Upon visual inspection, the most obvious problem I see is the cracking of hose on the starboard side of the outboard. The hose is connected to the power head, and according to my research, it is an "Oil Return Hose". I have looked up this part and on multiple sites it says it is "discontinued/obsolete", but there is no alternative recommended. Being new to this, I am not sure what next steps to take to find a replacement part. The hose seems pretty basic, but I want to avoid replacing it with the wrong part. Any help would be appreciated! (I have attached a picture as well)

Thanks
-Billy

Attachments

• photo279848.jpg
    photo279848.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
no big deal just get a piece of clear or clear blue fuel proof line to fit the nipples ( I used clear fuel line for motorcycles)

( clear hose will let you see the oil flow upwards to the top bearing area ... from the bottom of the crankcase.

​tie the hose with small screw clamps or with quality tye-wraps

​ clear hose gets hard eventually so if it is a concern to you get a short piece of real rubber fuel proof line to match the nipples and attach with clamps or tye wraps

BillyB11

Seaman Apprentice
Great, thanks Crosbyman. The current hose has clamps that appear to be in good shape... Is it a good idea to put the new fuel line as you suggested and use the current clamps to secure it to the nipples?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
only you can judge the usefulness of the old clamps... in doubt just by 2 new ones as cheap insurance..

BillyB11

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you for the responses! I have one additional question. I am planning to replace all of the hoses. We covered the oil return hose above which indeed appears to be 3/16" by my measurement. The second hose also appears to be 3/16". This hose connects what I believe to be the fuel pump (it is the part that says "Filter" on it) to the carburetor. The third hose appears to be 3/8". I used a straightedge to measure so I want to make sure that 3/8" is indeed a plausible size for this hose... it is the hose that connects the fuel pickup (I think) to the fuel pump.

My main questions are...
-Does 3/8" sound reasonable for the third hose?
-What are the proper names for the hoses I have described?
-Is the piece that says "Filter" on it indeed the fuel pump?
-Is the piece that is connected to the external tank indeed called the "Pickup"

Thanks!
Billy

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The thingy with the filter screen in the black plastic cover is the fuel pump.----Cut the third hose away from where it was stretched on a fitting.----It may then measure as 5/16" inside diameter.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
bring clean cut pieces to the store ....compare to what is sold NAPA has boxes of rolled fuel hoses various sizes