Johnson 115, can I use this type tach?

MakoNY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a '97 Johnson 115 SPL, it has no VRO/OMS. I need to replace the tach in the 18' boat that the engine is on. Currently it has a full System Check tach on it that has all the lights for, Chk Engine, No Oil, Low Oil, and Hot.

I obviously don't need the No Oil or Low Oil, since the engine doesn't have VRO/OMS, and I'm not really sure what the Chk Engine light is for, but assume it doesn't apply to a basic carbed engine with no VRO/OMS.

I'm pretty sure the only thing that would even be of use is the Hot light/horn.

A regular tach with none of the lights is a lot cheaper, so I prefer to use one of them, especially since I doubt I need a System Check tach, but I just wanted to double check here that I could use a regular one, and that the Hot/overheat horn would still sound with a regular tach.

Isn't the actual buzzer/horn under the dash, not actually in the tach? If so it seems I should be able to use a regular tach without the lights on it.

Thanks.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Johnson 115, can I use this type tach?

I have a '97 Johnson 115 SPL, it has no VRO/OMS. I need to replace the tach in the 18' boat that the engine is on. Currently it has a full System Check tach on it that has all the lights for, Chk Engine, No Oil, Low Oil, and Hot.

I obviously don't need the No Oil or Low Oil, since the engine doesn't have VRO/OMS, and I'm not really sure what the Chk Engine light is for, but assume it doesn't apply to a basic carbed engine with no VRO/OMS.

I'm pretty sure the only thing that would even be of use is the Hot light/horn.

A regular tach with none of the lights is a lot cheaper, so I prefer to use one of them, especially since I doubt I need a System Check tach, but I just wanted to double check here that I could use a regular one, and that the Hot/overheat horn would still sound with a regular tach.

Isn't the actual buzzer/horn under the dash, not actually in the tach? If so it seems I should be able to use a regular tach without the lights on it.

Thanks.

I doubt the horn is run through the tach....it hangs down on its own wires inside the controls. I would bet it works fines still with out any tach at all...

there should be spare purple, black, and gray wires hanging off the control harness just for installing a NON systems check tach.. have at it!!

bob

MakoNY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bob, that's what I figured, as far as the overheat alarm/buzzer.

I didn't know I had use different wires for the non systems check tach though, figured it would wire up the same way, just obviously the tach wouldn't respond to anything other than engine RPM.

Thanks for the info, when I get it pulled apart under the dash, I'm sure it will be self explanatory, I'll look for the wires you mentioned.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The System Check Tach uses a dual inline conector, maybe 8 wires. The non-system check will use three wires with ring terminals. I think the buzzer is activated by the system check tach. You MAY need to directly connect it to the overheat wire, plus power, for it to sound.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

here is a picture of my 90 ocean pro harness...the big connector was the 8 pin tach plug, i am pretty sure and the harness also has the other wires hanging down as well....they dont get used if you are using the 8 pin systen checks tach

24v89ys.jpg

bob

MakoNY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So is the overheat alarm/buzzer actually part of the System Check tach, or is it separate and somewhere else, meaning do I have to install one of I don't use a System Check tach?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I would bet that the alarm is seperate from the tach system.....no every boater uses guages and or a tach...but the alarm is needed still...the alarm is a seperate item anyway....

good luck

you could always call BRP, they have technical service phone techs that will answer questions like that

bob

MakoNY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I'll just get back there and pull it apart and see what it looks like. I'll take a look for a separate overheat buzzer, maybe ground out the sensor and see where the noise comes from if I don't see a separate buzzer.

Thanks.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

horn looks like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/John...at_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item2eaf7341bc

should be hanging inside the control or with the harness that is connected to the controls.

Mine goes off everytime i turn the key on...at exactly 2 minutes .. and it last 10 seconds...EVERYTIME no matter what...I hate it...cant figure what it is...probably an open circuit to the temp sensors..i guess....so i tried to encapsulate the horn is styrofaom to quiet it down some !! ha ha ha

bob

MakoNY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I'll take a look under there for that. It sounds real quick when the key is turned on, for the system check, but the lights on the tach cycle as well, so that made me think it was all within the tach.

I'll check it out.

Thanks Bob.