Islander hull corrosion help!!

7mm

Seaman
Is that a exposed treated lumber bunk on the trailer? You ma want to check for external corrosion under it.

Croge

Seaman Apprentice
I ordered some marine Tex and will do a few tests on lighter corrosion areas to see how it does. When I get some warmer days I will bring outside and give the hull a good scrubbing and etch before I try. I like the internal patch but will wait till the hull is stripped to see if I find anymore surprises.

7mm- I have put some spacers between the boat and bunks and need to strip off paint to see if I find some corrosion.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Sounds like some of the corrosion is under a rib so no internal patch, put it on the outside. No way I'd just fill pitting and pin hols on the bottom and call it good. The bottom can and will be impacted sooner of later and having at least an .080 patch to protect the area that's compromised will keep you from having a possible serious hull breach.

Croge

Seaman Apprentice
The pitting is on the Inside of the boat and if I wanted to do an external patch I would have to remove the rib because it would then be in the way. I agree an external would be the way to go but would just be a pain cause the rib is in the way on the outside.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Up to you on how you want to do the repair, but there is a right way and then other ways... Ultimately its your boat, so you decide what you are comfortable with and keep moving forward.

SHSU

Watermann

The pitting is on the Inside of the boat and if I wanted to do an external patch I would have to remove the rib because it would then be in the way. I agree an external would be the way to go but would just be a pain cause the rib is in the way on the outside.

Oh I see, we have a difference in terms going on, ribs are on the inside and run side to side in the bottom. You're referring to the pieces on the outside on the bottom that run length ways correct? Those are called a 'Strake'.

Croge

Seaman Apprentice
O I see yeah I was wrong I meant a strake. See I learn something new everyday. I could def see how that could be confusing. I got her flipped over to start stripping the hull while I wait for the marine Tex to arrive. It looks pretty good so far so we will see once she is stripped.

Attachments

• photo326731.jpg
    photo326731.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 9
  • photo326732.jpg
    photo326732.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 9

Watermann

O I see yeah I was wrong I meant a strake. See I learn something new everyday. I could def see how that could be confusing. I got her flipped over to start stripping the hull while I wait for the marine Tex to arrive. It looks pretty good so far so we will see once she is stripped.

Yeah then outside wouldn't be a good option.

Click image for larger version  Name:	boatstrake.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	6.5 KB ID:	10842409

Croge

Seaman Apprentice
Anymore info on your patches?
Yeah once I finished cleaning all the pitting it was only on the inside (none outside) and it didn’t go all the way through so I used marine Tex to fill the pits. I got it painted and am in process of putting back together now.

Attachments

• 4D55B027-1C08-4B73-839C-64A9DF986D51.jpeg
    4D55B027-1C08-4B73-839C-64A9DF986D51.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • F5860538-74DC-4126-BC81-561CE87E99BD.jpeg
    F5860538-74DC-4126-BC81-561CE87E99BD.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14

87Starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That is a good looking boat sir. I have corrosion going all the way thru. I about got it whooped tho

Croge

Seaman Apprentice
That is a good looking boat sir. I have corrosion going all the way thru. I about got it whooped tho
Thanks, that stinks about it going through! I got lucky with just some deep pits but I have seen some others with patches riveted down covered in 5200.

87Starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, that stinks about it going through! I got lucky with just some deep pits but I have seen some others with patches riveted down covered in 5200.
Yes sir I have read classic cats whole thread and watermans whole thread as well. I have road signs, rivets, and 5200 just trying to get it all cleaned up. Someone posted it was like eating an elephant with a baby spoon getting this foam out. I couldn’t think of a better way to describe it. Thanks for replying.

Croge

Seaman Apprentice
Yes sir I have read classic cats whole thread and watermans whole thread as well. I have road signs, rivets, and 5200 just trying to get it all cleaned up. Someone posted it was like eating an elephant with a baby spoon getting this foam out. I couldn’t think of a better way to describe it. Thanks for replying.
Haha Yeah I used a hand saw and a shovel for mine and it was a pain but well worth it! I am looking at your thread now. My transom was pitted bad and also under where the fuel lines were running to the tank.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I use a 3" cup brush on the end of a 2' drill extension to chew up the foam into foam dust and then suck it up with the shop vac

87Starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That’s a good idea!! Wish I had tried that!
I took a sawzall and cut the foam into square grids and had a small shovel and pries cubes out at a time and then I started doing the cup brush and shop vac. It’s all a pain. Every bit of my foam was water logged or gas logged