is this normal?

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
when i bought this boat, the owner said they had it started up. after about 6 months of sitting the carb is bone dry. is this normal? i havent checked the bowl for fuel. but im guessing that there is none in it....

Attachments

• IMG_1746.JPG
    IMG_1746.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1748.JPG
    IMG_1748.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 11

Bondo

Staff member
when i bought this boat, the owner said they had it started up. after about 6 months of sitting the carb is bone dry. is this normal? i havent checked the bowl for fuel. but im guessing that there is none in it....
Ayuh,..... After 6 months, it's not unusual,.....

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
Ayuh,..... After 6 months, it's not unusual,.....
ok thank you. and i also just tossed in some carb cleaner. i will be taking the carb off it tonight to give it a thorough cleaning. also there is no bowl. it is 2 jet. so i will be taking it all apart .

Attachments

• IMG_1748.JPG
    IMG_1748.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

Bondo

Staff member
ok thank you. and i also just tossed in some carb cleaner. i will be taking the carb off it tonight to give it a thorough cleaning. also there is no bowl. it is 2 jet. so i will be taking it all apart .
Ayuh,..... I've never seen a carb on an I/O motor, that doesn't have a float bowl,.....
What motor,..??
What vintage,..??
What drive,..??
What carb,..??

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
Ayuh,..... I've never seen a carb on an I/O motor, that doesn't have a float bowl,.....
What motor,..??
What vintage,..??
What drive,..??
What carb,..??
its 1985 or 84 gm omc 3.0l 400 stringer

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Picture 3 is the float bowl side,.....

Buzzsaw420

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have the 2.5 looks like the same carb. Second picture shows the float in the bowl. E846FA3F-6AC3-4219-B2B4-34CFAC1E1595.jpeg6860EFB5-08BE-445A-8141-76D54FA202FC.jpeg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its 1985 or 84 gm omc 3.0l 400 stringer
the throttle bell-crank will need new bushings
check your stringer mounts. most likely they have rotted
when you remove the drive, do not damage that $1000 shift cable

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
stringers and transom are fine .... i am just trying to get the motor ready for summer is all. the boat is solid.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
The float bowl is cast into the body. A 2 jet has three basic sections

airhorn/ top
main body includes bores and fuel bowl
throttle plate includes throttle shaft and throttle plates.

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
looks like the carb was recently (before i got it) rebuilt. so i wont be digging into it. i did give it a few shots of carb cleaner just to be safe and clean. lol. however. the reason i was asking this is because of the fact that i have no fuel going in to the carb. yes the boat ran before i got it. after how long of sitting does it take to get fuel back into the carb? i have tried id say a dozen times to crank it over to fire. and still no fuel in carb. yes i have 1/2 tank of gas in it. it did run before i got it.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
looks like the carb was recently (before i got it) rebuilt. so i wont be digging into it. i did give it a few shots of carb cleaner just to be safe and clean. lol. however. the reason i was asking this is because of the fact that i have no fuel going in to the carb. yes the boat ran before i got it. after how long of sitting does it take to get fuel back into the carb? i have tried id say a dozen times to crank it over to fire. and still no fuel in carb. yes i have 1/2 tank of gas in it. it did run before i got it.
How long - if the fuel pump doesn't pump, the anti siphon valve is stuck or needle and seat is stuck closed a long time.

Take the fuel line off the carb put it in a container and crank it to see if fuel is flowing. If fuel is there, there may be a carb inlet filter that could be clogged or needle and seat is hung up.

If no fuel is at carb work backwards towards fuel tank and see where things are clogged or not working

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
How long - if the fuel pump doesn't pump, the anti siphon valve is stuck or needle and seat is stuck closed a long time.

Take the fuel line off the carb put it in a container and crank it to see if fuel is flowing. If fuel is there, there may be a carb inlet filter that could be clogged or needle and seat is hung up.

If no fuel is at carb work backwards towards fuel tank and see where things are clogged or not working
will do , thanks for the advise.

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
well. final verdict is. i threw some gas in carb yesterday, cranked it over and it fired. took a few times , gas is running to carb without problems. and ran like a kitten. not bad for sitting all winter..... thank you all for the comments and help on this. greatly appreciated.

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
here is a short video of it running. cold start, low throttle. will be buying new hose and muffs tommorow for a restart. and a new video.

Attachments

• IMG_2014.MOV
    29.7 MB · Views: 0

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I would hope you had the muffs hooked up, running without water will destroy the impeller.

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
I would hope you had the muffs hooked up, running without water will destroy the impeller.
yes i had muffs on. i just bought a new set . double muffs today so i will be doing another video soon. as for the impeller i think i need a new one anyways. but will have to see when i start the engine again. i ran 30 seconds. with muffs on but when i shut down and checked the exhaust port no water..... so i dont think the muffs were tight enough. and the hose didnt help matters as it was not long enough so it had pulled the muffs open more. with this new set i should have complete water water flow.