Is there a cross reference for swapping a powerhead? 25 hp to 30 hp

gdavies07

Seaman Apprentice
For a winter project, I was researching rebuilding my powerhead for reliability purposes where I'm unsure of the condition of mine. I found a 25 horse rebuilt powerhead for relatively cheap. The seller states that is a "fine spline" drive shaft but does not mention year or block part #. And states its compatible from 81-99. Mine is an 87 30 hp Johnson, mod:j30elcub. Doing some researching, I've found there's a commercial model too? And researching parts for my 87 I found alot of parts seem to be specific to the 87 year. Would this powerhead work and how could I find out for sure before purchasing. I'm having a outboard mechanic tell me whats wrong with the motor for sure (rental auto tool showed low compression, even on both cyls 55 & 55, not sure but might need rebuild) for sure sometime this week but wanted to do a little research while I waited for his results. In the meantime, I feel if it needs a rebuild, this winter I'd like to swap out with this "for sale" powerhead, replace every electronic, and rebuild the carb and fuel pump to have a reliable long lasting motor.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Is there a cross reference for swapping a powerhead? 25 hp to 30 hp

I would pull the cylinder head before you go through the expense of replacing the powerhead. It's a good possibility that your head gasket is shot. Unless you overheated your engine, or ran it too lean on oil, I can't see any other reason why your compression is that low. Then again, you can also try another compression guage, because I do see that your numbers are the same on both cylinders and another compression guage could give you a different reading. The best way to test, is with both plugs out and give it no less than 5 revolutions with the throttle wide open.

jasper60103

Commander

I would double check the compression as Zephyr stated, and be sure not to use that extension adapter. I have the same motor and have changed the head gasket. It's a fairly simple job and head gaskets are cheap.

gdavies07

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, no doubt. But this powerheads cheap, the guy wants short change for it and I'd like to buy it for a spare to have on hand. For the price I cant go wrong... So is there a way of finding out if its compatible?

jasper60103

Commander

Yes, no doubt. But this powerheads cheap, the guy wants short change for it and I'd like to buy it for a spare to have on hand. For the price I cant go wrong... So is there a way of finding out if its compatible?

The '81 25hp & '87 30hp share the same part number for the Cylinder and Crankcase Assembly. You can use the MarineEngine website to compare other model years and parts as well...

1987 30 hp Johnson:
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...rer=Evinrude&section=Cylinder+&+Crankcase

1981 25 hp Johnson:
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...cturer=Johnson&section=Cylinder+And+Crankcase