Is my car big enough ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

insearch

Seaman
Re: Is my car big enough ???

The guy removed his comments, oh well. I am not sure what this has to do with anything, however, I did find some very interesting data between short bed P/U and the Long bed. What is shows ia all trucks are NOT the same. Also it is surprising as to what is in there that can be used as a tow vehicle like Kia's

http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=42175

I remember one thing about lrider's question, not that it makes a lot of difference, because I agree jeeps should not tow anything. but his weight was around 3000 pounds and somehow it got to:

"A vehicle rated to tow 2000 lbs and asking it to tow 4000-4500 lbs is one extreme, and a bad idea"

I would suppose if this goes on for a while that his 2000 pound jeep will evolve to a Smart car towing 8,000 pounds

That could be amusing

http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=42175

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

"A vehicle rated to tow 2000 lbs and asking it to tow 4000-4500 lbs is one extreme, and a bad idea"

Seeing as though I was the gentleman who made this statement, I should respond.

I was not directly referring to the O.P.s scenario with my remark. I was using those values as a general statement to reinforce my comments about extremes with regards to towing.

I apologize if it was taken as me changing the O.P.s scenario out of proportion, as the intent was only to remain along the same lines of tow capacities.

Carry on.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'm not sure I understand the ?? ?? ?? posts, but as to the original, the short wheelbase is the killer. It would be fine as a mule at the ramp or boat yard, that's all.

And as for "it's only a few miles" remember that most accidents occur w/in 4 miles of home. When I learned that, I moved to a house 5 miles away.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Nah, he was just being silly. Some of us were joking along with him, others were not. Think it finally got a little too testy.

wbc1957

Petty Officer 1st Class

It seems that there are more people using jeep for towing on this site. See "F150 4x4 Towing 23' - 4200lbs Chaparral" and you will see a full blown picture of a newbie pulling his 4500lb boat with a Jeep Unlimited with a 3500lb rating. This stuff isn't funny anymore, it's serious folks!

djsmooth56

Cadet

I swear every time I see a picture like this I am inspired to start a website devoted to vehicles that should not be towing. Recently I've seen a Cadillac STS towing a 24' Four Winns, and an old Tacoma with 28' Bayliner. Why are people so stupid when it comes to towing? Buy a truck that?s meant for towing and leave the cars and baby trucks at home.

md-lucky

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Huh.

Well.

I've seen pictures of worse...

ATT160576.jpg

ATT160577.jpg

ATT160578.jpg

For your website DJ.

reelfishin

Captain

I've owned several Jeeps, a few CJ and a few Wranglers, I never really considered any of them tow vehicles. Anything much over the size of a small aluminum boat is all they can safely handle. There's not much to attach a real hitch too, the wheel base is too short, and they just don't weigh enough to stop a larger trailer safely. Above all, they tend to be a bit unstable at highway speeds without a trailer, add a trailer and any sudden evasive moves can give way to a roll over.

I towed a 16' aluminum bass boat for a few years with one of mine, it did fine on the ramps, was great for getting to off the beaten path locations with the boat in tow, but any highway running was a white knuckled ride at best. Even a 1200 lb trailer would push that Jeep all over the road, even at 50 mph. It didn't feel too bad on back roads at slow speeds.

I replaced it with a two wheel drive Ford Ranger back then which did fine, the Jeep had more power and traction but the Ranger handled the trailer far better on the road.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

LoL this is too funny, this thing is still going on?

So after I was beat up, bashed about, made to feel totally ashamed and a fool

I decided to take a little tip to Rio and drown my sorrows on the beach for a few days.

I am all better now, thank you

As to the jeep, I agreed early on that it was way too lite to tow my boat. by the way I took it down to the scales (it had 25 Gal Gas) it weighed in at 2246 pounds, so the data I had was way off at 3006

Regardless, I will be trading (or selling) my 2008 Harley Ultra-Classic Electra Glide for a new 2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Pickup Truck, 5.3L V8 with factory tow package

I certainly hope it will be big enough - Did I miss anything?

jbing81

Chief Petty Officer

you really are a funny guy...

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

lol...wow i missed some good posts :)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

LoL this is too funny, this thing is still going on?

So after I was beat up, bashed about, made to feel totally ashamed and a fool

I decided to take a little tip to Rio and drown my sorrows on the beach for a few days.

I am all better now, thank you

As to the jeep, I agreed early on that it was way too lite to tow my boat. by the way I took it down to the scales (it had 25 Gal Gas) it weighed in at 2246 pounds, so the data I had was way off at 3006

Regardless, I will be trading (or selling) my 2008 Harley Ultra-Classic Electra Glide for a new 2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Pickup Truck, 5.3L V8 with factory tow package

I certainly hope it will be big enough - Did I miss anything?

Nope, we carried on nicely without you. Did you really go to Rio? If so, I hate you. Nothing personal.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

Yes I did go to Rio, got to spend all of 4 hours on the beach

Then was off to a factory just outside of Queimados, they are manufacturing big piece of machinery for shipment to Texas.

I had to do a safety inspection to US standards. They failed, I get to go back when they fix everything.

Wish I had enough money to do site seeing :(

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

lol seems that a peterbuilt is the only aceptable tow rig 'round here.... :rolleyes:

Well, I hear that SOME people have no problems at all pulling THEIR trailer with a unicycle. :D

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Does your boat really weigh 8k lbs? My guess would be w/ fuel and trailer about half that

l008com

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Does your boat really weigh 8k lbs? My guess would be w/ fuel and trailer about half that

Yeha that's what I was thinking when I read the first post. I thought it would be fine because the boat isn't that big. 8000 lbs? I would have guessed 3000.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Was that question meant for me?

24' Chris Craft dry weight - 5250
Tidewater 6600 lb trailer - 1700
50 gals. fuel- 400
'Stuff' - 400 (?) - includes 150 lb fresh water

7500-8000 lbs. depending on the boat's fuel load (90 gals. capacity)

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

I am still laughing that this is going this far :)

I will give you a thumbnail

I originally asked if I could pull 3k with my jeep that is rated for 2k

As the thread progressed, the weight gradually climbed to:
There are two extremes when considering a tow vehicle. A vehicle rated to tow 2000 lbs and asking it to tow 4000-4500 lbs is one extreme, and a bad idea.

Now at this point several people started a little pissy (including myself) a bit of mob mentality was going on.

After reading my posts in response to some, I decided that I was getting caught up in this P contest and was no better the anyone else so I removed my posts because the whole thing was getting stupid.

Now the weight of the boat gets bigger

"A vehicle rated to tow 2000 lbs and asking it to tow 4000-4500 lbs is one extreme, and a bad idea" I would suppose if this goes on for a while that his 2000 pound jeep will evolve to a Smart car towing 8,000 pounds

I know how he was commenting on this, but I think people just read what they want and ASSume that the bigger number is the correct number.

When I got back from my business trip I was amazed that this tread was still going on so in response

As you can see I agreed that the jeep was too light to pull 3K and I am not happy pulling 2K (or so) and I am in the market for a new tow vehicle.

Price wise I was looking at the Silverado however I am leaning towards the Tundra with the tow package, same price, a lot more capacity at 8400#

If I get that, I will be able to zip around the US insanely at 70 Plus (I noticed some people really tow at that speed)

Any questions? I will be happy to answer :D

By the way, there are some really good comments in here

Be Well

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Once again, I apologize if people mistook my generalized post and tagged your combo as a 2000 lb rated vehicle towing 4000-4500 lbs. I was not stating "your" setup with my post, merely referring to what I have seen on the roads around me.

It sounds as though I should have put a disclaimer on my original post, as more than one person seems to think my remarks were directed towards the exact combination shown in the photos on the first page.

I thought I was remarking with regards to the overall sense of the thread, not directed at any one truck/trailer combination.

Sorry for any confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.