Is my car big enough ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Is my car big enough ???

As long as you're vehicles rated for the towing weight and the tongue weight, not a problem.

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

...let's see, where's my popcorn...

what is teh towing capacity of your jeep?

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

No, that boat's too big for your Jeep. I'm going to drive up to Long Beach and you're going to give me that boat.

:D

Seriously, I think you'll be OK, if you take it slow. Is that Jeep a manual, BTW? (Probably stupid Q, but I'm not a Jeep guy) That's probably going to be your largest hurdle/watchout.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No, no, no!!!

You are over the tow rating . . . .waay over.

That is a fatal "accident" looking for a few victims.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Mfg Suggested weight 2000 :p

I only tow it 3 miles to the launch, and no I don't take on the freeway

insurance company will not be very happy with you if you get into an accident, this will possibly void any insurance you have. OUCH

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

?? ?? ??

Last edited:

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Jeep is manual with a 4.0 straight 6 - do they put auto trannies in jeeps?
what an odd concept.

Aye the boat with a full load is a bit heavy for the car, but you won't see me doing freeway speeds either.

When I recover from the purchase of the boat, I'll buy a Peterbuilt :p

The mod is fast today :)

lol seems that a peterbuilt is the only aceptable tow rig 'round here.... :rolleyes:

Downwindtracker2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your Jeep wieght is over #3100 and your trailer is about the same,the real problem is the brakes. I learned that the hard way using a Cherokee and #1500 trailers. That big old AMC six is great engine as are either of the Toyota trannies they use,but the Dana 35 rear end is too light for any heavy trailer,better find a 8 1/4 Chrysler if you are going to do any distance towing.Guess how I know about that,too.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

lol seems that a peterbuilt is the only aceptable tow rig 'round here.... :rolleyes:

Not true. I tow with a Kenworth. Used to be a Peterbilt man, but they're just not as nice these days.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

Well I kind of like this one, it might be the color :)

Attachments

• 0804dp_01_z+mini_peterbilt_359_dodge_ram+front_right_view.jpg
    0804dp_01_z+mini_peterbilt_359_dodge_ram+front_right_view.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0

lncoop

Vice Admiral

It will cost a little more if you want B.A. to drive it for you.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I see a few issues here... first and most important a jeep isn't a car.... it's a jeep. Show it a lil respect or give it to someone (me) who will :D

Next, Of course that boat is too big for it and you already knew that.... you also already knew you were gonna tow it anyway and that you'd likely be ok going a short distance at low speed:rolleyes: Posting this up here if only for a laugh (as I suspect was your plan) just adds to the confusion of people who would think it was ok to tow something like that at highway speeds tho;)

Last why the heck does a little boat like that hold 65 gallons of gas and my twin v8 cruiser only hold 100:(

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Only 100 on your Wellcraft? My 27' with twin 4cyls held 106, and my 29 with twin V8s holds... 250 gallons. A little extreme I know!

I'm driving a Wrangler now, and would NOT want to tow with it. I do however prefer the trailer be longer than the tow vehicle.

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

Towing with that rig is unsafe, but sounds like you are going to do it anyway. What the heck it's only a few miles. Here is a link to a website I found helpful in picking a tow vehicle:

http://www.racetrack-rv.com/rv_towing.htm

I sold a car I really liked to buy one rated high enough to tow my boat. Sold the car I liked for $3600 and bought the one I'm using to tow with for $3500. It will do until I can afford what I want for towing.

clarkbre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There's only one word to sum up why that Jeep isn't capable of pulling that boat: Wheelbase.

oldjeep

Admiral

For low speed I suspect you already know its fine. The trailer would really get the coil rear on your TJ wagging if you ever got up to speed in the wind.

I pull 4-6K with my jeep all the time (other stuck or broken 4x4's) LOL

EDIT: Photo must be 640X480 or smaller

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.