intermitten TNT issue

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
the 99 Johnson ocean runner 150 hp I am running has a 97 Johnson fast strike midsection....it was run in fresh water its whole life until the last 2 years,,,,the TNT motor looks brand new...but I am having issues...during the winter I noticed once I hit the trim buttom is went strong and quickly acted like it was dying out...id let off wait a seond and hit it again and it was back to full power for a few seconds and then it would die off.... I just delt with that all winter....now I am taking the boat for striped bass and this past weekend I changed the water pump so I was using the trim and tilt...and it started off the same way... then at one point it just died...I could hear a click in the relays on the power head...pulled them wiggeled them...waited and eventually the TNT worked again... this happened about 4 times...id have to wait and eventually the TNT would work...but in the same manner as winter...strong for a few seconds then dying off.....if I held it till it dies.. then it wouldn't work.......I charged the batteries, but the motor starts in a split second...so they are strong.....went fishing today and it dies about 4 times... but eventually worked later on.... loading on the trailer it didn't work and I was lucky I have a jack plate to raise the motor straight up.... took the rig down the road for 20 minutes and at a gas station the TNT worked again! so once home I switch out the relays and no change....when it would not work the newer relays also would not work.... the 150 hp relays always worked fine when tried on my Johnson 175 hp......sooo thinking a lose wire or maybe a dying TNT motor.....sooo the question.....what are the signs of a dying TNT motor......and is there any possibility the junction where the relays plug in could have shorted ..or be bad???

thanks....

bob

Lightwin 3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think you identified a failing TNT motor. The key, to me, is that you hear the relays clicking meaning that power is there.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Sounds to me like some bad battery connections in the system.