Intake Manifold Gaskets

dlowdog9

Cadet
Got my heads back from the machine shop. I will be putting everything back together tommorow. I bought a set of Felpro intake gaskets that were the same as were already on the boat. But the more i read into the service manual, im not sure if they are the right ones. The manual is talking about removing a metal insert for heat pipe clearance and an opening for an exhaust valve port. I have a 2brl carb with an electric choke. Are these gaskets ok? I know they arnt OEM. They just look different then the OEM. Here is a picture of the originals. They were working fine before, just want to make sure they are correct. Thanks to any responses!

Attachments

• 20230204_141546.jpg
    20230204_141546.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 35

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... What vintage is yer motor,..??

At 1st glance, it appears you've got '87 to '95 heads, 'n '96, 'n up gaskets,....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You said you had a 2004 Sea Ray correct in previous threads so those SHOULD be Vortec heads, how many bolt holes for the intake are in each head? If only 4 bolt holes then those are the right gaskets. Vortec had only 8 holes for the intake, 4 per head, pre-vortec had 12 bolt holes or 6 per head.
Here's what the pre-vortec looks like

Attachments

• 4.3 new cyl heads installed.jpg
    4.3 new cyl heads installed.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 13

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
need a better pic and the felpro gasket set part # you bought would also help.

personally i would use OEM as i have had to many bad experiences with felpro and marine applications.

if your heads have exhaust cross over holes and the intake does not then you need to use the blanking plates to block the holes.
also if you are not using the choke in the intake you can utilize them as well.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Also make sure to follow the correct torque procedure; those take way less torque than the pre Vortecs.

dlowdog9

Cadet
You said you had a 2004 Sea Ray correct in previous threads so those SHOULD be Vortec heads, how many bolt holes for the intake are in each head? If only 4 bolt holes then those are the right gaskets. Vortec had only 8 holes for the intake, 4 per head, pre-vortec had 12 bolt holes or 6 per head.
Here's what the pre-vortec looks like
Thanks Lou. They are the 4 bolt per head. The damn service manual messes with my brain sometimes. I torqued them down the 11 ft/lbs. Almost done with the project. Should have it done to test by the weekend! We shall see! Thanks again

pursuit2460

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did mine last month and also used the FelPro set. Other gaskets have a tendency to leak. And 11lbs was the torque I used. So far all is well after 10hrs.