Insurance for older boats

MR nova @#25

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is my 1976 Wellcraft Nova 250 offshore, She is a cap off restoration. Tires and rims are going on today. I have 100's of pictures, and most receipts. I want to get her insured. Whats a good company that cover old boats the are trailer based?

Attachments

• tires.jpg
    tires.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 9

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Last time I checked, Allstate would not insure older boats, without a survey. They will let you keep your coverage on a boat, that was new enough when you first took out insurance coverage.

sangerwaker

Commander
I have an agreed value policy with Chubb as there is not anything that could replace my boat(in my mind anyway :cool:). Had my policy for many years now, and my rate has not increased. No claims either, though.

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have progressive. A few quick questions and that was it. Agreed upon value coverage. It does come with tow Insurance but I also have tow insurance with boatus

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I have a 2002 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1750 and Farmer's insured it.

tpenfield

Staff member
Typically, you can get a marine surveyor to do a replacement value (or similar) survey of your boat and the insurance company will take that as the agreed value.

mr 88

Commander
If you have it surveyed, make sure it's done by a accredited person . I believe there are two different ones they will accept. SAMS comes to mind , can't remember the other one .Most insurance companies require that .

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Typically, you can get a marine surveyor to do a replacement value (or similar) survey of your boat and the insurance company will take that as the agreed value.
This is exactly what my insurance agency told me. They normally don't even insure older boats, but I showed the agent the before/after restoration pics and was told to get it surveyed and they'd probably help.

So, I started shopping for a surveyor and the prices were right around $1,200. Nope. Not gonna happen. o_O

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I dont insure my boats now. Last one was the 34 foot because it was moored and required and progressive was raping me. Spent $700 for survey saved that in first year with new company. Dont remember who it was.