Installing coupler

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am replacing the engine in my Chaprral Sunests, I am installing a new 7.4 liter, the flywheel is already installed on the engine with bolts, I have a new coupler ob I have to remove the bolts, would I be better off installing studs if so what size, or purchasing longer grade 8 bolts and run the bolt through the coupler to tighten? Thanks in advance!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
which style coupler? many of the volvo couplers bolt in to the clutch mounting holes.

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
which style coupler? many of the volvo couplers bolt in to the clutch mounting holes.
I purchased a new coupler, the only one I could find for the 7.4 was the one that bolts to the crankshaft with the crankshaft/flywheel bolts.

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone? Maybe have a pic ?

Attachments

• IMG_1111.png
    IMG_1111.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 1

dubs283

Vice Admiral
The coupler pictured attaches to the crank end, basically sandwiches the flywheel between it and the crank end

Factory setup uses studs in the crank end with flanged nuts holding the coupler and flywheel on. Unknown what the torque value from volvo is but do know mercruiser flywheel bolts are torqued to approx 75 lb/ft

I don't have a special tool that would allow for proper torque to be applied with a standard torque wrench. In the past I've used a box end wrench with blue loctite and snugged sufficiently with a zero failure rate, ymmv