Impeller question - 4.3GL

rotozuk

Seaman Apprentice
Hope this is the correct place to post this up. I picked up a new to me boat and the owner said it had a new impeller just installed by his brother. When we test ran the motor I noticed the pump was leaking a bit. Then I spotted a spare gasket left in the impeller kit box and thought he had failed to install the gasket.

Today I opened up the pump and found it has an o-ring, does not use a gasket. Hmm. The o-ring is a little tired looking, but appears to be OK. Now I'm wondering if the pump needs a new o-ring, or a full rebuild. The pump bearing and seals appear to be pretty good. If the pump needs a rebuild, will it be pretty obvious? I guess I can just slap a new o-ring in there and see what happens.

The previous owner apparently was missing the rubber "stop" for the end of the arm, so they just buttered the pump with some nasty rubber sealant. The stuff is everywhere. :( At first I thought it was an attempt to stop a leak.

I was going to order up a new pump and be done with it, but then I saw the price. Looks easy enough to rebuild.

Any feedback would be welcome.

-Wayne

Attachments

• photo216680.jpg
    photo216680.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo216681.jpg
    photo216681.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo216682.jpg
    photo216682.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0

wrench 3

Commander
The vanes on the impeller should all be bent in the same direction, away from the direction of rotation. If it's been ran with the impeller like that, I'd just order up a new kit and start again. Assemble the rubber parts with some silicone grease.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The vanes should orient themselves once it turns.
Apply some grease to them.
The wear plate in the back looks like it has some wear ??
What does the inside of the pump look like? Pics?
The will work with some scoring but not as good as it should.
The rear seal is probably where the leak is.
It's available through this site.
And yup Volvo is REAL proud of it's parts.
$400 for a pump is crazy.

wrench 3

Commander
I've pulled pumps apart that have been running for a year or more and the vanes have not corrected themselves. and it really accelerates the wear. If you do want to reuse the impeller check it for cracks, any thing that looks like weather checking, and the ends of the vanes for wear.

Last edited:

rotozuk

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys, I did not even notice the vanes that were reversed! Ratz, I had just placed an order for some other parts thinking the impeller was OK. And yes, the pump has been run for about 10 minutes at idle, it may have been run more by the previous owner. Are the aftermarket impellers a disaster waiting to happen? Just wondering as I am pretty sure this is not a volvo part in this one.

-Wayne

Bondo

Staff member
Thanks guys, I did not even notice the vanes that were reversed! Ratz, I had just placed an order for some other parts thinking the impeller was OK. And yes, the pump has been run for about 10 minutes at idle, it may have been run more by the previous owner. Are the aftermarket impellers a disaster waiting to happen? Just wondering as I am pretty sure this is not a volvo part in this one.

-Wayne

Ayuh,.... If ya want the Best money can buy, google up Globe run-dry impellers,...

wrench 3

Commander
If you're on a budget I'd go with a Sierra impeller. Quality is good and the warranty is better than OEM.
BTW you can get them from this site.

rotozuk

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys. I ordered one up from iBoats to give them some support for these great forums. I'll keep the old one as a boat spare.

-Wayne

Bondo

Staff member
By nature your a bit conservative...you must have a lot of confidence here. Have you ever run into a conversion chart???

Ayuh,.... Ya gotta look long 'n hard, but it's at the Globe site I believe,....

The Mod.1s, 'n Alpha 1s, use impeller part # 1000,......

I know that because I've got the box one came in, here on my desk as a pencil/ pen holder,...

I kinda wish iboats would pick up a Dealership with Globe,.....
They're hard to find, but worth the effort,...

I've lost track of how long ago I put one in my Alpha,....

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Ayuh,.... Ya gotta look long 'n hard, but it's at the Globe site I believe,....

The Mod.1s, 'n Alpha 1s, use impeller part # 1000,......

I know that because I've got the box one came in, here on my desk as a pencil/ pen holder,...

I kinda wish iboats would pick up a Dealership with Globe,.....
They're hard to find, but worth the effort,...

I've lost track of how long ago I put one in my Alpha,....

:D Its amazing what glasses and a cup of coffee will do.....Thanks Bondo i really dont like the Volvo factory impeller design it bring's new meaning into packed into a can of sardine's. And ordered.

Bondo

Staff member
:D Its amazing what glasses and a cup of coffee will do.....Thanks Bondo i really dont like the Volvo factory impeller design it bring's new meaning into packed into a can of sardine's. And ordered.

Ayuh,.... Ironic, 'n I'm blamin' you for it,....

We just had a conference call with all the Mods, 'n Admin..... I just hung up,...
I mentioned that iboats oughta be listin' the Globe impellers, 'n they're gonna look into it,.... :)

So,.... If iboats picks up the Globe line of impellers to sell in the iboats megamall,...

It's Yer fault that I remembered to mention Globe to the Admin..... ;)