Hydraulic steering

Grandpa348

Recruit
Greetings. I am building a boat. Soon I will be installing the steering parts. I will be using hydraulic steering, but I know very little about it. I checked on the internet and found brands from about $500 to over $2000. I don't really need a Cadillac system I suppose, but I don't want any problems either. My boat is just over 18 feet long and will eventually have a 140HP outboard on it (engine on order). My question is: Does anyone have any experience with various hydraulic steering brands? I mean ones to stay away from or ones that are dependable?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Hydraulic steering’s Achilles heel is fluid leakage.
It’s not if, it’s when is it going to start leaking.

Such as the case, it’s all about long term support of the product. Pick a name brand that has been around for a while and live with the results

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Such as the case, it’s all about long term support of the product. Pick a name brand that has been around for a while and live with the results
What is the typical "when"? 5 years, 10 years?

ahicks

Captain

I would add only that a well known brand, with good parts support, may have components available on the used market. Those that are mechanically inclined may be able to purchase something like that, rebuild it, and save up to half of what a new one might cost....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have seen the aftermath of brand new go-fast bass boats leaking hydraulic fluid from the helms at a tourney. loose steering at 70mph and things do not end well.

SeaStar is the old Teleflex marine steering systems

mr 88

Commander
As noted Sea Star is the way to go . Usually the only place they leak is through the O ring in the steering wheel shaft . And you might get 10- 30 years out of it before it leaks . Your not in a go fast boat so I wouldn't worry about that . Any rubber seal in any product will eventually fail if it's being used . You will see tell tale signs if it does start to give out , like oil under the helm area . I know some guys in the middle of fish tournament that had it fail and they ended up filling it with beer so they could finish the tourney . Any liquid will work to get you home , even fresh water .

ahicks

Captain
As noted Sea Star is the way to go . Usually the only place they leak is through the O ring in the steering wheel shaft . And you might get 10- 30 years out of it before it leaks . Your not in a go fast boat so I wouldn't worry about that . Any rubber seal in any product will eventually fail if it's being used . You will see tell tale signs if it does start to give out , like oil under the helm area . I know some guys in the middle of fish tournament that had it fail and they ended up filling it with beer so they could finish the tourney . Any liquid will work to get you home , even fresh water .
The plan is to fix it when you first spot the leak - not when it doesn't work any more.....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
What is the typical "when"? 5 years, 10 years?
It's not the age... its the cold.
The last boat I ran that started leaking fluid was only 2 seasons old. I know guys that have problems every year when the temps drop.

Stainless steel, O-rings, cold weather and operating at 1,000 PSI is not a good combination = think Challenger accident.

The problem you have is Hydraulic helms are closed loop systems with no fluid reservoir to compensate for the thermal expansion of the fluid during temperature changes.

You fill in the summer, the oil contracts causing sloppy steering in the winter. Fill in the winter, fluid expands and blows the seals in the summer.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
It's not the age... its the cold.
The last boat I ran that started leaking fluid was only 2 seasons old. I know guys that have problems every year when the temps drop.

Stainless steel, O-rings, cold weather and operating at 1,000 PSI is not a good combination = think Challenger accident.

The problem you have is Hydraulic helms are closed loop systems with no fluid reservoir to compensate for the thermal expansion of the fluid during temperature changes.

You fill in the summer, the oil contracts causing sloppy steering in the winter. Fill in the winter, fluid expands and blows the seals in the summer.
My current system is 4 years old. There is a fill port on the dash, connected to a hose leading to the helm unit. I understand it has to be a closed system to function, but how does the fill port figure in to the process?

I know the boat was manufactured in October (down south), but obviously I don't know what the temp was.

At any rate, so far I see no leaks.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
The baystar system would be perfect for that set up. It’s the smaller sea star product. I have it. What a difference it makes. Amazing

mr 88

Commander
The plan is to fix it when you first spot the leak - not when it doesn't work any more.....
Uhhhh sometimes things , including O-rings fail without any warning . My point being if your out to sea you can use just about any liquid in your steering system to get you back to port .

Grandpa348

Recruit
The baystar system would be perfect for that set up. It’s the smaller sea star product. I have it. What a difference it makes. Amazing
I ended up purchasing the Baystar product. The literature said it was for motors up to and including 150HP. My engine will be 140HP. It was quite a bit cheaper than the Seastar set up. I have already spent a ton of money on this project and I have a lot more to go before I am finished fitting this out. I quess time will tell how good it is.

I appreciate the input from this group.

Pulse186

Cadet
Might want to look into Uflex also.

I use their SVS line on my boat and it is superior in everyway to the comparable seastar unit plus the Uflex paddle trim is the best.