Hybrid Vehicles

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Makes no economic sense to me to add a generator , battery and electric motor.-----Of course if you can afford one , and afford to maintain it there is no problem----Or get little for this item when you trade it in for a new one.

stresspoint

Ensign
i don't know why we cant just go nuclear for transportation , :) the technology is out there , has been for years .

free energy for transportation ,imagine the turmoil in the world if the energy and oil companies were completely out of the picture :) .

hypothetical scenario for the future.:::
a small nuclear device the size of a TV remote that has a never-ending supply of clean power.
plug it into your vehicle when you want to go somewhere , when you get home plug it into your home to power all your stuff..

The Force power

Commander
i don't know why we cant just go nuclear for transportation , :) the technology is out there , has been for years .

free energy for transportation ,imagine the turmoil in the world if the energy and oil companies were completely out of the picture :) .

a small nuclear device the size of a TV remote that has a never-ending supply of clean power.
plug it into your vehicle when you want to go somewhere , when you get home plug it into your home to power all your stuff..
No need for those led strip-light anymore; the car will glow on its own :D

racerone

Supreme Mariner
But the general public also has little to no concept of radiation / shielding and nuclear power.----It should have been called ---UNCLEAR ---power.-----The mayor of a local city was adamant that no radioactive materials should be allowed to be transported through his city.-----This would have taken about 1/2 hr by ship.-----Yet the people in his city have to breathe chemical vapors from the nearby " chemical valley " 24 / 7 all year round.-----And there are likely more radioactive materials in his city on a 24 / 7 basis year round.----Every hospital, dental office and weld repair shop has radioactive materials.-----And likely more than what was to be transported on a one time basis.-----So throw that nuclear transportation on the shelf for now !

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I never heard of nuclear transportation. other then in a sub or aircraft carrier?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The training / license requirements might be beyond the average driver to look after a " reactor in a suitcase " so to speak.------That would be all we need in this crazy world.------When I started in that field there were few issues.----Today these plants are guarded by SWAT teams

dolluper

Captain
Not in this lifetime...They got rid of hydrogen which would be needed by the reactor and the heat caused by the fission process would probably melt all the plastic cars we are in now.. They hardly don't even want to use it on space craft which would propel them much faster.
Maybe in 100 years for this planet...notice l said this planet ...Mars it might work
Electrified nuclear transport.

stresspoint

Ensign
what ever way the "powers that be" of the world go to keep us with an effective solution to energy production we all know the environment is not going to be the winner.

all this stuff what they are doing now with transportation , i think is going to be obsolete in 20 years or less with that and the way the worlds energy needs are going ,
IE: more and more production of "" indirectly "" big energy consuming EVs ,keeping in mind that they can use more energy than average households just to keep them running on a daily basis ,the energy used for the production process and the disposal of depleted systems such as batteries ,electronics , plastics , even the metal on the bodies is not recyclable without doing environmental damage.

maybe some further development as to the way hybrid vehicles perform consumption wise is a possible answer, development into smaller recyclable higher energy and longer drain time battery's with a LPG powered motor might help the hybrid plight to be an option as an interim.
whatever way it goes , big automated plants are going to be the norm to manufacture .

history in automotive shows us that there is never a 100% solution to the energy consumed just to get us from A to B , but i think now is the era we need to be thinking of a permanent solution to the planets future rather than our own needs .

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
what ever way the "powers that be" of the world go to keep us with an effective solution to energy production we all know the environment is not going to be the winner.

all this stuff what they are doing now with transportation , i think is going to be obsolete in 20 years or less with that and the way the worlds energy needs are going ,
IE: more and more production of "" indirectly "" big energy consuming EVs ,keeping in mind that they can use more energy than average households just to keep them running on a daily basis ,the energy used for the production process and the disposal of depleted systems such as batteries ,electronics , plastics , even the metal on the bodies is not recyclable without doing environmental damage.

maybe some further development as to the way hybrid vehicles perform consumption wise is a possible answer, development into smaller recyclable higher energy and longer drain time battery's with a LPG powered motor might help the hybrid plight to be an option as an interim.
whatever way it goes , big automated plants are going to be the norm to manufacture .

history in automotive shows us that there is never a 100% solution to the energy consumed just to get us from A to B , but i think now is the era we need to be thinking of a permanent solution to the planets future rather than our own needs .
Maybe AI will figure out a way to teleport us around!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
But the general public also has little to no concept of radiation / shielding and nuclear power.----It should have been called ---UNCLEAR ---power.-----The mayor of a local city was adamant that no radioactive materials should be allowed to be transported through his city.-----This would have taken about 1/2 hr by ship.-----Yet the people in his city have to breathe chemical vapors from the nearby " chemical valley " 24 / 7 all year round.-----And there are likely more radioactive materials in his city on a 24 / 7 basis year round.---
Mr. Mayor would have a fit if he knew every smoke detector they mandated for home installation contained Am 241 (radioactive material, 7500 year half life)…...wonder how many are floating around in landfills?

-Every hospital, dental office and weld repair shop has radioactive materials.----
Don’t confuse isotopes with x-ray devices. Licensed and handed very differently by the NRC.

Hospitals work with some low level isotopes, barium, etc. but there is no reason for a weld shop or dentist office to have “radioactive materials” on hand. Weld radiography and dental panoramas are done using x-ray devices

My 46th year as a dosimeter wearing radiation worker. Design and Manufacture of high powered X-ray and isotope based analytical devices for heavy industry.