Humminbird Helix 9 GPS

Hofty

Seaman
Purchased a Helix 9 with a "No GPS position fix". The prior owner said he had the unit checked over by an approved repair facility and they need to replace the Board. The boards are supposedly $500-600 plus labour.

Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase a "Humminbird AS GPS HS precision GPS receiver" and make use of that as an alternate GPS or does the fish finder require thr internal GPS to work?

I have tried all the usual "update firmware" and "factory reset" to troubleshoot but it's likely the GPS receiver on the actual internal board.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 610+AjJbq5L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
    610+AjJbq5L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 3

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Purchased a Helix 9 with a "No GPS position fix". The prior owner said he had the unit checked over by an approved repair facility and they need to replace the Board. The boards are supposedly $500-600 plus labour.

Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase a "Humminbird AS GPS HS precision GPS receiver" and make use of that as an alternate GPS or does the fish finder require thr internal GPS to work?

I have tried all the usual "update firmware" and "factory reset" to troubleshoot but it's likely the GPS receiver on the actual internal board.

Thanks in advance.
If your unit supports it, looks like the antenna you need is the

AS GRP - EXTERNAL GPS RECEIVER.​

Of course, you will need to install a NMEA 2000 backbone to support it

Last edited:

Hofty

Seaman
Would this unit satisfy the external GPS?

Attachments

• 20240218_081038.jpg
    20240218_081038.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 3

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Would this unit satisfy the external GPS?
You have it backwards. Will your unit support the antenna?

Communications and power are the issue. In my world (Garmin) pucks are NMEA 2000 compliant and would work with any NMEA 2000 compliant head units. Have both Garmin and Lowrance peripherals on my boat

Not a humminbird guy. They games and their technical documentation is lacking to say the least.

Need to see if the two units are compatible. Suggest you dig through your operators manual to see if it support a remote antenna

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Does not appear that gen 2 units support a remote antenna