Humility

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I've told my wife, repeatedly, that if I ever just have disappeared i mostly likely encountered a space/time traveler and went with them. There is zero chance I would not go, if they let me.

64osby

Admiral
Very cool stuff here. My Dad was an Electrical Engineer who worked for GE back in the 60's. He designed the electrical portion of the mechanism that held the upper part of the Saturn V rockets on the crawler that delivered the craft to the launch site. He told me many stories.

One was the vehicle assembly building would fog or cloud up. When inside, at the top, you could not see the bottom due to fog inside the building.

southkogs

Staff member
I live close enough to Huntsville that I make it down to the Space and Rocket Center semi-regularly. I'm always amazed at how much was accomplished in space flight in the pre-computer era. Some really smart and creative people did some pretty impressive stuff.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I agree, touring the Kennedy Space Center was pretty humbling to say the least. There is more processing power in this iphone I’m typing on then in most, if not all of those Saturn era launch controls, not to mention in the vehicle itself. And yet what do we do with all this technology at our fingertips? Not much good……Humbling.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I've told my wife, repeatedly, that if I ever just have disappeared i mostly likely encountered a space/time traveler and went with them. There is zero chance I would not go, if they let me.
Call me if that happens, I'll sign up! :ROFLMAO:

Very cool stuff here. My Dad was an Electrical Engineer who worked for GE back in the 60's. He designed the electrical portion of the mechanism that held the upper part of the Saturn V rockets on the crawler that delivered the craft to the launch site. He told me many stories.

One was the vehicle assembly building would fog or cloud up. When inside, at the top, you could not see the bottom due to fog inside the building.
I've gotta get over there. The Artemis started rollout to the pad overnight and is still live right now. 🚀👨‍🚀

I was inspired as a kid watching the Apollo Program (and Star Trek). 🙃
I was lucky enough to watch Neil Armstrong step down from the LEM and onto the surface of the moon. Fired me right up! (y):D

In my space biz career, I was fortunate enough to work with 3 different guys who worked on the Apollo program. One worked on the Electrical System, the second worked Navigation and the third designed the Video Link that sent the TV signals from the Moon back to Earth.

Too cool! :cool:

I agree, touring the Kennedy Space Center was pretty humbling to say the least. There is more processing power in this iphone I’m typing on then in most, if not all of those Saturn era launch controls, not to mention in the vehicle itself. And yet what do we do with all this technology at our fingertips? Not much good……Humbling.

Right? I actually worked on one program which had a whopping 32k of memory and used a paper tape reader for startup! :sneaky:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Right? I actually worked on one program which had a whopping 32k of memory and used a paper tape reader for startup! :sneaky:

I put this the other day in the random thread. One of my favorite posts by my dad. I grew up in a double IBM household. I re-read occasionally with the perspective it was in 2010 then look at my just purchased MINI sd card of 400 GIGABYTES where about that time I was cool with a 12 meg full size SD then I remember the (original) star trek episode that he whipped out a small disk and stated it held the entire history of all or earth. I thought (as a kid when I saw that) it was quite impossible. Now?

His writing style can be tough to follow but usually at the end it is worth it.

dwco5051

Commander
I was stationed in a "host country" and by regulation we were supposed to travel in uniform while going to and from the host country. Except for "us" guys. :p

After a year or so of being on station, I headed home for a few weeks of leave. On this trip, I took a military plane instead of a commercial flight.

At one point along the way, we stopped to refuel and when I went to re-board the flight, I was standing there in line wearing my jeans and regular shirt.

When I passed my ID to the inspecting Master Sergeant, he looked at me and said "Where's your uniform?" So, I handed him my orders which said that I was required to wear civilian clothing while traveling. He read that and said "What makes you so special?" I leaned close to him and in a conspiratorial whisper said... "I'm a spy!" o_O

He looked shocked, then his mouth dropped open and he stood there with a stunned look on his face while I casually walked away and boarded the plane. ;)

Priceless! :cool:
Had a similar incident many years ago. Our group of six sent to the Med by commercial flight. On blue passports, no haircuts for a month, no duffel bags but used old regular luggage (no decals or stickers), no military ID on us, all packed into luggage. Mission had been ended while we were still on our way over. Got back the same way to JFK a couple of weeks later but the airline lost my luggage. Ended up having to go through customs with no luggage and was tagged for questioning. Didn't know how much I could tell them at this point but did talk my way onto my connecting flight. This was way before 9/11 and it was a little looser.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
One of my reps in Florida lives where you can see launches he rents out yard space. I have to go down and see a big one go.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Unfortunately, my wife has to work tomorrow and the boy has school. :confused:

So, I'll just stick around here and hope that the angles and clouds are right so that I can see the launch from the front porch. 🚀

aspeck

Staff member
Artemis delayed because of 2 leaks and a crack. Today’s launch window is closing. Next launch window is Friday.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Dang. I was watching but didn't see that. To many distractions at the cabin.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Bummer, have they listed a target liftoff time for Friday?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well, we headed over to the Cape this morning to watch the launch, but didn't even get there before it was scrubbed. :confused:

Maybe next time. :sneaky: