How do I remove bell housing merc. #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabristol

Seaman Apprentice
I have a mercruiser #1 outdrive serial # 3904030 from a 1974 boat. It has the mercruiser inline 6 250 cid engine. I am trying to take apart the bell housing to change the ujoint bellows and replace the gimbal bearing. My manual does not say how to remove the bell housing HINGE PINS for this older model.

There are treaded holes in the hinge pins.

Port side has a aprox. 1/8" thick pin on the side and and starboard has a thin piece of wire.

Look at the photos, and give me advice on how to remove the bellhousing.

Thanks

Attachments

• Port.JPG
    Port.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 13
  • Starboard.JPG
    Starboard.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 12

firehog6305

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How do I remove bell housing merc. #1

Im not sure why you are wanting to take that apart??? I hope its not just to change the ujoints and gimbal bearings??? just undo the six bolts I think it is, and with your gear shift in the forward posityion, pull the outdrive off, the ujoints will come off with the outdrive, and you can replace the gimbal that way as well, unless I am missing somthing about your outdrive, but I had a 67, and a 74 merc outdrive (120-140) and they were both the same

Last edited:

rabristol

Seaman Apprentice

Two reasons. The first is to replace the ujoint bellows as it has almost worn through from age and replace the gimbal bearing (Make it easier to get to the bearing retaining ring. I was able to knock threw the starboard side pin, however I am still having trouble knocking the 1/8" Stainless pin through.

Any ideas??? Heat???

ziggy

Admiral

yer removeing the hinge pins correctly. remove the nail, then use a merc. specialty tool to remove the hinge pin it self. the special tool can be made too. it's a 1/4-28 machine thread. i used a body dent puller slam hammer with the 1/4-28 machine screw engeneered onto the slam hammer. sorry. i have no insight as to removeing a nail that dont want to come out. since ya got one out. yer probably hip that they is bent over on the inside of the gimble ring, so ya need to straighten them first. if corroded in.....? have ya tried any rust penintrat? pb blaster, wd, anything to cut the corrosion. i do hope ya don't break them though, as their nla. i understand ya can go up to the new, larger dia. ones with a drill though if it does break...
don't know what service manual ya have. but the merc. one is the only way to go. ya need #2, C-90-71707.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Two reasons. The first is to replace the ujoint bellows as it has almost worn through from age and replace the gimbal bearing (Make it easier to get to the bearing retaining ring. I was able to knock threw the starboard side pin, however I am still having trouble knocking the 1/8" Stainless pin through.

Any ideas??? Heat???
HMMMMM......
Those thin stainlees pins go straight through the gimbal ring, through the hinge pin, & are bent over at the back.....
Those pins are the sole 'keepers' (think cotter pin) for the hinge pins & thus the bell housing,.....
Have you bent the back of the pin straight & tried to press it out foreward with a wonder bar ?....
Heat can help in situations where corrosion is a factor.....
The hinge pins themselves can be either knocked inward or pulled with a puller, (they are not threaded on the outside).
I think it is a 1/4" 28 fine thread on the inside, (I have fashioned a puller using a steering wheel horn plate depresser, a 6" C clamp, the threaded rod & a couple of nuts)....;)
You will need to chase the threads.....
If the keeper pin will absoloutely not come out, you may have drill the hinge pin nearly through with a cobalt bit & use a drift to knock the rest of the keeper pin out.....
Whatever you do, proceed with caution, if you crack or missdrill the gimbal ring you will open a whole new can of worms....:(
This procedure can be a real ***** & is the reason that merc went to the threaded hinge pins with the special head & loctite to keep them in place.....
Proceed with caution & good luck!.....:)

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Looks like Ziggy is all over it & types faster too......:D

firehog6305

Petty Officer 1st Class

I still dont undersatnd why you want to pull it off??? call me crazy, but when I changed my ujoints and bellows, I never pull that off, I gues you can, but it make a little job a huge one really fast, once you remove the outdrive, the gimbal bearuing comes out very easy, and changing the bellows is just as easy, I'm sorry I must be missing somthing, but to change the gimbal bearing and bellows, the manual does not tell you to take that piece off

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I still dont undersatnd why you want to pull it off??? call me crazy, but when I changed my ujoints and bellows, I never pull that off, I gues you can, but it make a little job a huge one really fast, once you remove the outdrive, the gimbal bearuing comes out very easy, and changing the bellows is just as easy, I'm sorry I must be missing somthing, but to change the gimbal bearing and bellows, the manual does not tell you to take that piece off
You are correct, it is not absoloutely mandatory to remove the bell housing to install new bellows....
I did it that way, once......;)

firehog6305

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes you bet, its not nessasary at all, in fact its alot of extra work, I changed the gimbal bearing and bellows on several mercruisers, and thats the only way to do it, unless somthing else is wrong with it, but just the ujoints and gimbal, and bellows, why screw with the bell housing??? thats why it didnt make any sense to me, but what the heck he might have the extra time to do it. to get the gibal bearing out that way, you just use a long rod, or some sort of metal object, and smack the very top of the bearing, it turns sideways, then it just pulls straight out, then a side hammer to remove the ring, and replace it the same way, the ujoints come out with the outdrive, so thats easy, and with the outdrive off, the bellows are right there, not a hard fix:)

firehog6305

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have replaced the cartridge the same way, without taking off the housing,on a 67 120merc, and 85merc 140

orttauq

Seaman
Sorry to bring up such an old post but I was hoping to do the same thing...remove the bell housing on a 1975 888. I am looking to remove it because the hinges are really loose (sloppy). Are there bushings or some kind of sleeve in there that I can replace? Also at the top of the bell housing it is hitting something and wearing into the aluminum. I am guessing this is not normal.
Thanks for your help!

Sorry to bring up such an old post but I was hoping to do the same thing...remove the bell housing on a 1975 888. I am looking to remove it because the hinges are really loose (sloppy). Are there bushings or some kind of sleeve in there that I can replace? Also at the top of the bell housing it is hitting something and wearing into the aluminum. I am guessing this is not normal.
Thanks for your help!
This thread will be locked out before you get an answer. The old threads are for reference only, unless your the original poster. Commenting on one will get it locked out by an admin. Start a new thread of your own with your problem, and others will chime in to help out... if you want to copy/paste the link to this one for reference you can. Good luck with your issue..

Status
Not open for further replies.