Honda BF25 identification

Bobbywolf

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It appears the model number plate/sticker is missing from the R/H transom mount, so I am unsure of the year or exact model number of this outboard.

It is a Canadian model 4stroke Honda 25 with the following serial numbers:

BAJS-3221134 on a small plate riveted to the center of the transom mount, just under the power head.
BAJE-2005079 is stamped on the power head block, just under the starter (I had to use a borescope for this one)

I am leaning towards a 2005-06 due to the engine SN, but that may be just a coincidence. The parts websites do not really seem to jive with my SN's. Maybe because this is a Canada model?

Any help on this would be most appreciated.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Is there a number on the core bursting freezing plug ? If it has one ?

Bobbywolf

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Your welcome....
Thanks. Can you tell me how you came up with 98?

I'm actually not convinced. Heres a bit more info. On the lower tray there is a EPA sticker that shows it conforms to 2002 US EPA regulations. On the hood itself there is a factory looking sticker that shows 2006. I know the hood is easily replaced, so I was thinking 2002ish. BAJS-3221134 would put it either 2000, 01, or 02 if I look at serial number ranges on parts websites.

Also, I only seen 1 little freeze plug, and it isn't stamped with anything.

Last edited:

ahicks

Captain
The stickers show that the 98 motor conforms to the later regulations - Honda is doing a bit of bragging on that fact. That's it! Assuming the regulations/stickers have anything to do with the motor manf date is a REALLY common mistake... wishful thinking in many cases....

I do a LOT of work on the mid range Honda outboards as a retirement hobby. They're all I work on. Have been using this doc for years now, so if you come up with anything better, please share. -Al

First page:
1674230089903.png

The page that applies to your motor -
1674230221163.png

Bobbywolf

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Right on, I really appreciate it. I am having some trouble with this motor leaking oil, I'll start another thread to ask about it.

Bobbywolf

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Something else interesting. I called Honda Powersports to order parts for it, gave the 2 vins, and they told me the outboard was sold and registered for warrenty Jun. 2002. That still doesn't nail down the year of manufacture, but it was unlikely to be sitting unsold for 4 years. I'll go with 2002. It honestly doesn't seem to matter parts-wise anyways.

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Anything can happen. I bought a Yamaha generator that sat on the sales floor at a dealer for 5 or 6 years, at a good discount. Who knows, maybe it was in the back, or was a display model, etc. No telling.

ahicks

Captain
My thought is they run them in big batches. Then they sell when they sell - from the manf's warehouse to the dealers, and from the dealers to the end users.