Home plumbing lesson learned.

harringtondav

Commander
Yesterday I noticed water on the floor in front of our kitchen sink. I thought I was sloppy rinsing dishes. I laid down some towels, but couldn't keep up. I opened the under sink cabinet and saw an ongoing drizzle shower.
Down to the basement to shut off the water. ....drizzle was coming down through the floor. I emptied the cabinet, got a flashlight and sent my son down to the shutoff with his phone so I could find the leak.
The push together O ring coupling to the faucet was leaking. I originally installed the heavy ring on the flex hose to retract the sprayer. Apparently it was too much weight after 11 years of use. I removed the weight and reinstalled the split plastic locking sleeve. All good.

We regularly alternate between our river house and main house, staying at either for over two weeks. I recently started shutting off the well and closing the water supply at the river place thinking a leak could spring while we are away. Now I'll do the same at the main house. I was darned lucky I was standing in front of the leak when it happened, vs being 100 miles away.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I hear ya, far to often we take things for granted and forget simple safety steps. When I was a young lad, we had a small cottage on the river. When we got electricity there we ran wires high up in case of flooding and when we connected to water, we put in a shutoff for when we would be away for a while. Folks don't bother to think of those things today...

topgun3690

Ensign
Whenever we leave the house for more than a few days, I always shut off the main water supply to keep this from happening.....each sink has 2 flexible water supplies, each toilet has 1, clothes washer and dishwasher has several....and don't forget the icemaker line.....there are at least 13 of these in my house and they are all under full pressure all the time. If one bursts you got a flooded house.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Recently replaced a 5mm ID 16mm OD seal on the dish washer that leaked enough to damage the floor

Glad you found the leak.

My next upgrade will be flow fuses