HI! New Here!

Dahlia45

Cadet
I am looking into fixing up a boat. Preferrably 14'ish. Im not sure if I want a sail boat or one with an engine. Maybe a little motor on the back? Definitely a small cabin. I just finished my Tiny Travel Trailer. Looking for a new project. But not until I finish school in May. I still have a bit of time. May be my search will be a bit longer, as I am in no hurry.
While I am looking at boats, what should I be looking for? What are the hidden issues I may miss? I say less is more. I am not looking for anything fancy. Thank You!

alldodge

Staff member
Welcome
A 14 footer is good for no more then 2 people and should be easy to move. What are you wanting to do with the boat?

briangcc

Commander
14' and cabin? That's going to be a mighty small cabin on an already small boat. I rented a 14' fishing boat once, that landed me my Bayliner in my signature.

IF it were me, I'd be looking at the 16' and up aluminum fishing boats and add a full camper top to it. Much more versatile and probably fairly easy to find. Much easier resto if/when needed.

Or perhaps a small toon.

Dahlia45

Cadet
Thank You!

Its going to be for me and my husband. Mainly to hang out, drink, fish. Sun tan.
I have found a couple with a small cabin. They are about 20' in length. The cabin would be to relax or potty. I cant pee like a guy lol! A bit o privacy for me. On the lake or hugging the coast on the ocean.
And I have seriously thought about the aluminum boats. I have a full machine shop to do anything that needs to be done. I just dont know how to fix an engine. Ya, we make the parts but as to how they work....thats another story lol! The problem I see with the aluminum boats is tipping. If anyone knows how to prevent that. And Id like to see one with a camper on it. That seems interesting.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I think youre looking for a barge if you want to put a camper on it.

smallest cabin boats were the 18' bayliners. the cabin was useless.

to lay out on and get a tan, a 14 foot boat will be small. My suggestion. 16' aluminum boat, bimini top, and a shower curtain for privacy with a portapoty under a folding jump seat.

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
I am looking into fixing up a boat. Preferrably 14'ish. Im not sure if I want a sail boat or one with an engine. Maybe a little motor on the back? Definitely a small cabin. I just finished my Tiny Travel Trailer. Looking for a new project. But not until I finish school in May. I still have a bit of time. May be my search will be a bit longer, as I am in no hurry.
While I am looking at boats, what should I be looking for? What are the hidden issues I may miss? I say less is more. I am not looking for anything fancy. Thank You!
Welcome, Lots of good information in the stickies of each forum. I would go through each section and read them.
If you're looking for a smaller boat some sort of pop-up fabric enclosure may be more practical than a cabin. Especially considering weight/distribution.
Here is a link for terminology etc.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello! I am also pretty new here. I am working on a project boat myself currently. It is a 17 footer, and will be able to hold about 3 grown adults or 750lbs. I am rebuilding it with a porta potty, females and children with tiny bladders in mind, and if I can have my way, I will have a section in the bow for them to do their business. The 17 feet in this boat are going to be just enough space for what I personally have planned. I can not imagine much smaller of a boat with enough room for a cabin. I hope you find a boat that fits or at the very least, find a way of fitting everything you want into this 14 foot boat!

Best of luck!

Dahlia45

Cadet
The boats I have seen have been less than 20'. That seems doable. So the 14' requirement has changed. I have seen them with a small cabin surprisingly. Nothing fancy. Just a couch in the cabin. I can stick a porta potty and cooler or solar fridge in the couch storage.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
There is an 'adapter' that works on the female body to convert to the male stand up position.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
There is an 'adapter' that works on the female body to convert to the male stand up position.
I have heard so much negativity over these from people who have used them, but to me personally, a "stand to Pee" (STP) seems like such a useful tool, and in a pinch, seems like such a hygienic alternative! Are these a hot commodity amongst the boating world?

flashback

Captain
If you're young and like the adventure the sailboat might be a good idea, you can throw a tarp over the boom and have a bit of privacy and shade.

rxl650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I almost bought one of these last year but I took 10 minutes to google it and it sold. It's alot of boat for a 17 footer and easily modified.