Help with motor HP choice...

Cabochris

Cadet
My first Smokercraft is a 2001 16' Lodge SS with side steering. The boat had a 50 hp Honda but the seller removed that motor and replaced it with an older 25 hp 2 stroke Yamaha. I bought the boat knowing it is probably underpowered and have not had it on the water yet to find out.

I'm pretty sure though that I want a bigger motor and am getting different answers as to what size hp motor and type is ideal. Almost all say the current 25 hp is under powered. The hull is rated for 50 hp. Some say to get a 30 hp 4 stroke, because the 3 cylinders of the 30 hp are much better than the 2 of the 25 hp. Others tell me to get a 48 or 50 hp 2 stroke because the larger engine will work less with heavier loads. Whatever I'll buy will be used.

I'm not a speed freak. This is a fishing boat and I want a good balance of power and fuel economy/speed for mostly 1 or 2 a dog and rarely 3 people and gear. I do not want to be grossly under powered either. When calm I might travel as far as 6 miles over saltwater to fish. I like the idea of the economy and quietness of a 30 4 stroke. But that seems so close to the current 25 hp 2 stroke on now? A 40 hp 2 stroke seems neither here nore there? I think a 40 or 50 hp 4 stroke is just too big of a size of a motor for this hull? I like the idea of a 50 hp 2 stroke and simply throttle back, but still have to wonder if I need that much power? My fuel tanks are portable- so limited.

Please help me decide which motor is best, Thanks, CC.

Cabochris

Cadet
Re: Help with motor HP choice... Decision Made!!!

Re: Help with motor HP choice... Decision Made!!!

Well I have made a decision. After many hours pricing used outboard motors and missing a few, it came down to 2. A Mercury 30 hp 4 stroke and a Mercury 50 hp 2 stroke. Since the 50 hp was newer (2006) and a steal of a deal (on a boat with trailer for $3,000) I went with the 50. I figure I can sell the boat and trailer for $1,000 and also sell my 25 Yamaha on Smokercraft now for $1,000 too. So this motor swap will end up costing $1,000 to $1,500. Not bad for a 50 hp in like new condition with low hours! Oh, I could have bought an older 1998 50 Honda for around $3,700 and also a new Evinrude 40 Etec for around $6,000, but simply did not want to put that much money into this 2001 hull.

I still think 50 hp is overkill on this boat, but now I will have more power if needed. This may work out just right! CC.

Low dsrt jon

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Help with motor HP choice...

You should have got a ETEC but you were going for price not quality. You get what you pay for!!!! LDJ:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cabochris

Cadet

LDJ, thanks for your response, but what you say is silly! I am on a budget and you are lucky not to be. What model and brand of boat do you own?

Responding to your response there are both Evinrude, Mercury and Honda dealers near me. Each says they sell the better outbloard. The Merc guy swears by them and the Honda guy said "Is there anything else?".

If money were no concern... and I am accepting all donations... I would buy a new Evinrude. But I also would buy a 20'+ welded boat too.

The 50 HP Mercury I got for a great price runs great and looks new. It will look great on my boat too. I'm certain I'll get by somehow.

F.Y.I. I just read an article online comparing 2005 50 HP motors on the same aluminum hull. Guess what? The 2 stroke 50 HP Mercury was faster than the Etec in all regards! Not that I am a speed freak. Also, the 50 4 strokes had a faster top speed than the 2 stroke Etec! I'm certain you can find the article if you care to read it.

Back to the Smoker. I am now certain that a 50 HP outboard is a good choice for my 2001 16' Lodge.

Low dsrt jon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think that you should have got a 50 ETEC. The power of a two stroke with the economy and cleanliness of a four stroke. LDJ I also have a 1999 Smokercraft 162 Pro Mag which I was lucky enough to buy brand new 11 years ago. It came with a Evinrude 50 4 stroke which left it underpowered . I repowered with a 2005 90 hp ETEC in 2005 I got a better price than any of the major brands and I struggled to make payments on it through a bankruptcy, so I know about the price of things. I just feel that Evinrude is a better product but that is a personal opinion. Goodluck with your boat and new motor.:):):) LDJ

Last edited: