Help water leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bandswoodward

Recruit
Can anyone tell me what would be leaking water when the hose is hooked up to the boat and the engine is running? When the engine is off water doesn’t leak. When turned on water pours from the bottom of the engine. IMG_2530.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome to iBoats . . .

It could be a number of things, so you should have a closer look and get a few more pictures if you can.

Some possibilities are:

Hose clamp loose
Engine block drain loose
Crack-in-the-block

Can you tell us bit about the engine's history?

Bandswoodward

Recruit
Thanks for your reply. This is a 2011 Volvo Penta 5.0 gxi on a Regal 2000. My husband winterized the boat and we are getting it ready for the summer. He was looking to make sure all the drain plugs were back in. Hooked up the hose. No water leaking. When turned on the engine water poured out the bottom of the engine. We are having a tough time identifying what it could be. Someone said it’s the soft plug behind the motor mount. Can you tell from this video?
What other info would be helpful to you?

Attachments

• IMG_2530.jpeg
    IMG_2530.jpeg
    449 KB · Views: 21

Bandswoodward

Recruit
Thanks for your reply. This is a 2011 Volvo Penta 5.0 gxi on a Regal 2000. My husband winterized the boat and we are getting it ready for the summer. He was looking to make sure all the drain plugs were back in. Hooked up the hose. No water leaking. When turned on the engine water poured out the bottom of the engine. We are having a tough time identifying what it could be. Someone said it’s the soft plug behind the motor mount. Can you tell from this video?
What other info would be helpful to you?

Attachments

• IMG_0633.mov
    22.4 MB · Views: 0

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Looks like a casting plug in the block leaking

If it's pushed out to the point of leaking there's a good chance the block is cracked elsewhere

tpenfield

Staff member
'Core plug' not soft plug. But probably what it is. The fact that it was winterized DIY is interesting. I am wondering if there is good access to the core plug without removing the engine. :unsure:

Looks like it needs to be investigated further.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
How did you winterize it?

Time to check for a cracked block, heads, intake and exhaust manifolds

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I hope it wasn’t the suck AF up the outdrive method!

tpenfield

Staff member
Just checking one thing . . . on the GM 5.0 engine there is a core plug behind where the engine mount is located (both sides) .

So, the engine may need to come out in order to properly assess and fix. If the core plug is pushed out if could be a sign of the engine block freezing.

Can we get a few pictures of the entire engine from a few angles . . . also the exact model number which should be on the cowling.

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
I agree that the engine probably needs to come out. Contrary to the popular name of "freeze out plugs" they are actually casting plugs. They are not there to prevent a cracked block when not properly winterized. But you may get lucky. Once the engine is restarted you need to check for milky oil.

Ltmeat

Cadet
Any update on replacing the core / casting plug? Were you able to do so without removing engine? Did you pressure test or find any cracks?

Status
Not open for further replies.