Help please tohatsu 6hp

Jhayes780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay so I finally got it running great but one thing. I have a 6hp tohatsu 2022 unsure model number right now but will post. It has the internal and external gas capabilities. I have a question. If my vent on my external fuel tank is open, do I still open the one on the top of the motor or vice versa. The switch on the side says that one position is for carrying and external fuel and one is for internal tank, but does either of these mess with the oil?

Took it out and it was running great but kept running out of gas, not sure if I had it on the wrong settings or if I have a bad fuel pump. It wouldn’t turn off if I continually pressed the fuel bulb.

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Based on my experience with my 2014 Tohatsu 6HP (probably the same as yours):
  • If you're using the external tank, you do not need to open the vent on the internal tank.
  • Turn off the internal tank and unplug the external hose before laying it over for transport.
  • It will transport just fine if you lay it over on the correct side. If you lay it on the wrong side you could have issues with oil. Some gas may come out the carburetor vent when you first lay it over.
  • If it runs continuously on the internal tank, but sporadically stops on the external tank and squeezing the ball fixes it, then:
    • Make sure the external tank vent is open
    • Make sure there are no air leaks between the motor and the gas tank
    • It's possible the pump is bad or weak, but I would expect issues with the internal tank too if this were the case.

Jhayes780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Based on my experience with my 2014 Tohatsu 6HP (probably the same as yours):
  • If you're using the external tank, you do not need to open the vent on the internal tank.
  • Turn off the internal tank and unplug the external hose before laying it over for transport.
  • It will transport just fine if you lay it over on the correct side. If you lay it on the wrong side you could have issues with oil. Some gas may come out the carburetor vent when you first lay it over.
  • If it runs continuously on the internal tank, but sporadically stops on the external tank and squeezing the ball fixes it, then:
    • Make sure the external tank vent is open
    • Make sure there are no air leaks between the motor and the gas tank
    • It's possible the pump is bad or weak, but I would expect issues with the internal tank too if this were the case.
Sorry for any confusion. It doesn’t run on the internal tank. I just end up pulling the cord 20 times and nothing happens. When external is hooked up that’s my only symptom just have to continuously prime it ever 5 min

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
If it does not run on the internal tank, and you have to continually squeeze the ball when on the external tank, then the fuel pump would definitely be on the suspect list. What happens if you use the external tank and ball to prime the carburetor, then switch to the internal tank? Does it continue to run, or stall after a short time?