Hello all, I want to install a remote oil filter mount for my 4.3 V6, is it neccessary to replace the filter mount bypass valve?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Just a follow up on this topic I found out the block adaptor in the kit I got from Michigan Motorz was made by Canton Racing in Ct. So I called their tech line and asked the question of whether change the bypass valve. They said I could change the bypass valve to the 30 psi unit, or use their custom oil filter mount adapter that eliminates the bypass valve, but make sure to use a filter with a bypass. The filter supplied with the kit is a Wix that does have a bypass (its the large Ford/Chrysler filter). So I guess I could do either, any preferences to doing one or the other?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Just pay attention to the flow of oil in and out of the Remote fitting. Get it backward, like my Dealer did when they installed the remote, and the Engine gets no filtered Oil because of the Drainback/Check Valve in the Filter. 104hours old, the engine had to be replaced. No cost to me.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
these are marked well so that you can get it right, the first time!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Maybe they are, I have never looked. I first noticed the engine sounded like it had Solid Lifters. I happened to touch the Oil Filter after the engine had been running a about an hour, and it was at Ambient for the engine compartment.
Dealer was good, they admitted that they messed up, pulled the engine, tore it apart and started measuring things. Enough parts were worn, that a complete new Long Block from Volvo was the best way.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
More to the story....
I found out (and I THOUGHT this was the case) that the 4.3 is different than the small block V8s. It does not use the removable adapter with 2 bolts and the bypass staked into the adapter. The stud for the filter is threaded right into the block and the bypass is staked right into the block. So due to the location of the bypass it would be pretty difficult to remove with the engine in the boat. Might just install it as is, and as per Michigan Motorz advice and see if the filter gets warm like it should. If so I'm not going to worry about it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
this is up in the oil filter adapter on my 5.0

i believe that is the relief valve.… not sure i understand the desire to remove it. Yes maybe a higher pressure relief is more desirable, but yours with some maintenance has held up well for 34 years …

i also regret not putting a remote filter when i repowered…
this is only used on the V8s, it isn't used on the V6.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
this is only used on the V8s, it isn't used on the V6.
Ok so out a V8 in and the problem is solved…

i think what u outline in lost above makes sense for the amount of these that MM sells and installs it is likely what they suggest works…

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Adding this for any V6 owners who want to add the filter mount. As you can see in this pic, on the smaller 4.3 mounting pad, there is no added bypass housing. That housing would not fit, it would have been a lot easier if they were the same but they aren't.
So the only way you are going to change one of these out, is to have the engine on a stand, no way you can access this well enough to not mess this job up with the engine in the boat. I may just hold off on the remote filter mount till I repower it and do it the right way.

Attachments

• 4.3 oil filter mounting pad and bypass valve.jpg
    4.3 oil filter mounting pad and bypass valve.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 4

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
take threaded bolt (I believe 7/16" and shove up in valve, work back and forth pulling down.

make mess in bilge

stand on head and drive in new valve

drink beer.