Heat Shrink Tubing Sizes

MNhunter1

Ensign
Anyone have a good reference for heat shrink tubing sizes for wrapping multiple 16ga AWG wires together? I'm looking to extend a wiring harness and would rather not have three separate wires zip tied together along the length of the run. I'll be using the appropriate terminal connectors, just looking for a clean "cable" presentation along the run. Is the sizing in most descriptions for just the bare wire, or does it take into consideration the outside sleeve as well. Thanks!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Shrink tubing is categorized by its shrink rate.

Measure what you want to wrap. Then find a material with a shrink rate (shrink range) that meets your criteria

achris

More fish than mountain goat
... multiple 16ga AWG wires together? I'm looking to extend a wiring harness and would rather not have three separate wires zip tied together along the length of the run. ...

'16 gauge' is the copper size, doesn't include insulation.

3 x 16 gauge wires. Likely in a boat. I wouldn't solder and extend, even with adhesive-lined heat-shrink. Just get 3 lengths of wire the right length (and different colours) and connect them to the end of the wires you want to extend and pull them through. It also has the advantage of being the same colour at both ends. ;)

If you can avoid solder joints, especially in a boat, you do so.

Chris.....

MNhunter1

Ensign
Just to clarify, connections will be made with crimped butt splices, just looking to wrap the long run into one cable vs the individual wires, more like a wire loom where it looks more like a thick cable.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
In a boat, a single run is always preferable to any form of join. If you can attach a new wire (or wires) and pull them through, do it that way. 16 gauge wire isn't expensive. I find it just baffling that people are happy to spend $50 on booze, or fags, but ask them to spend $10 on something that does the job right... :facepalm:

Once you have the longer wires in, wrap the whole lot up in spiral wrap.... Looks pretty and doesn't present a nightmare if you need to open it up in the future (which if you use crimps, you will)....

Chris......

Bondo

Staff member
more like a wire loom where it looks more like a thick cable.

Ayuh,..... Then use plastic wire loom,......

Heat shrink will cause it to be rather stiff,.....

MNhunter1

Ensign
In a boat, a single run is always preferable to any form of join. If you can attach a new wire (or wires) and pull them through, do it that way. 16 gauge wire isn't expensive. I find it just baffling that people are happy to spend $50 on booze, or fags, but ask them to spend $10 on something that does the job right... :facepalm:

Once you have the longer wires in, wrap the whole lot up in spiral wrap.... Looks pretty and doesn't present a nightmare if you need to open it up in the future (which if you use crimps, you will)....

Chris......

I have plenty of wire and connectors on hand, it's not a matter of saving any money. The cable coming from my outboard that would normally terminate at a three prong female plug to easily connect to the cable coming from the controls has been cut off. The cable included three individual wires for the tilt/trim controls (blue/wht, green/white, red). I have extended these wires individually, but was hoping to wrap them up into a single cable by running them through what I needed of a 4' section of heat shrink. I could always just wrap them up with electrical tape or use some wire loom, but I thought the heat shrink would give it a clean look and seal it all up better. If I could locate a replacement tilt/trim harness for the motor that has the plug attached, that would be another option too.

Appreciate the suggestions and guidance. Thank you.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have plenty of wire and connectors on hand, it's not a matter of saving any money. The cable coming from my outboard that would normally terminate at a three prong female plug to easily connect to the cable coming from the controls has been cut off. The cable included three individual wires for the tilt/trim controls (blue/wht, green/white, red). I have extended these wires individually, but was hoping to wrap them up into a single cable by running them through what I needed of a 4' section of heat shrink. I could always just wrap them up with electrical tape or use some wire loom, but I thought the heat shrink would give it a clean look and seal it all up better. If I could locate a replacement tilt/trim harness for the motor that has the plug attached, that would be another option too.

Appreciate the suggestions and guidance. Thank you.

I think I understand what you are asking about. Any gauge of wire is always the metal itself any not with the insulation on it. So 16 gauge wire will certainly be larger in diameter then the diameter specified for bare wire. Three wires of 16 gauge will be larger as well. So take a simple tape measure or ruler and measure the approximate diameter of the three together. Then search for heat shrink that will shrink to that size or smaller. Heat shrink comes in shrink ratio sizes. There are 2:1, 3:1 and even 4:1 shrink capabilities. And some also come with glue inside as well. So if you need to cover a ~3/8" bundle, get your heat shrink that is larger then that size, but will certainly shrink down to that size. I typically buy mine off Ebay. There are tons of venders and so many shrink ratios to select from. The larger the shrink ratio, usually the higher the price. But make sure you buy the length you want. You could even ask the vender if they can get the length you need for your project. And even the more costly ratios really isn't very expensive...

Hope that answered your question...

MNhunter1

Ensign
Found a NOS OEM power trim wiring harness 84-99695A1 and replaced it last night, eliminating my need to dress up this wiring/cable issue. Thanks again for all the info!