Head gasket change..

love1u0

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I need to change the head gaskets and my boat is at the marina in the water. Do I need to worry about water intrusion since its in the water or am I ok?

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
pull the block and manifold drains first, if it drains and stops your ok. a lot depends if there are riser extentions.

love1u0

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have 3" or 4" extensions under the elbows. Good Idea though...pull the drains and see if it stops. I will be ok
with the block drain as it is FWC.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
you will need to drain the block BEFORE doing the heads. Being that deep in the hull , remove and plug the raw water inlet hose as a precaution

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
and once you have the exhaust off, cap off the exhaust hoses as well.

love1u0

Petty Officer 2nd Class
you will need to drain the block BEFORE doing the heads. Being that deep in the hull , remove and plug the raw water inlet hose as a precaution

Ok, I knew I had to drain the block before doing the heads. I assumed you said that thinking I had seawater in the block.

Thank you :)

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Ok, I knew I had to drain the block before doing the heads. I assumed you said that thinking I had seawater in the block.

Thank you :)

As you didn't tell us what the engine is or if the engine is raw water or fresh water cooled, anything said is 'generic'.

love1u0

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As you didn't tell us what the engine is or if the engine is raw water or fresh water cooled, anything said is 'generic'.

Rgr...it is the engine/boat in my sig with fresh water cooling.

Thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Rgr...it is the engine/boat in my sig with fresh water cooling.

Thanks

:facepalm: Quite right... Signatures are a bit like EULA, everybody knows they're there, but.... Sorry about that...

As you have freshwater cooling, just drain the fresh water side as you know. For the raw water side, plug the raw water hoses that go to the exhausts (either elbows or manifolds depending on full or half system) and when you remove the elbows, leave the tubes and everything else in place on top of the Y-pipe...

Chris........

love1u0

Petty Officer 2nd Class
:facepalm: Quite right... Signatures are a bit like EULA, everybody knows they're there, but.... Sorry about that...

As you have freshwater cooling, just drain the fresh water side as you know. For the raw water side, plug the raw water hoses that go to the exhausts (either elbows or manifolds depending on full or half system) and when you remove the elbows, leave the tubes and everything else in place on top of the Y-pipe...

Chris........

No worries :) I do appreciate everyone's help and I should have been more clear. By the way, your video showing the lower shift cable adjustment was a life saver!