Growling in gear

scottkb1330

Recruit
2004 Volvo Penta 5.0 GXI-E with SX drive only makes growling noise in gear and in the water. Does not make noise when hose is the water source.

Could it be something simple, or do i need to take the outdrive off?

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have you drained a little of the L U oil out to check color and for metal slivers ? I would drain ALL the oil out. To check it for slivers .
Bearings can be sensitive to loads on or off of them.
Sadly I would have the drive pulled apart to find a worn out or a spinning around bearing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
2004 Volvo Penta 5.0 GXI-E with SX drive only makes growling noise in gear and in the water. Does not make noise when hose is the water source.

Could it be something simple, or do i need to take the outdrive off?
have you had the drive off for the annual maintenance? oil level? are you trimmed up in the tilt range? oil level in the drive? last oil change?

scottkb1330

Recruit
I have a few hours on new Amsoil Synthetic Marine Gear Lube 75W-90. The level is at top of level range on dipstick and still very clean. The drive has not been removed in years. Took boat out a few days ago and the noise didnt really change during trim levels or turning. It was able to perform the same as it it's best days, just making this new noise.
Thank you.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
pull the drive, inspect the u-joints and alignment. that has to be done every year.

itsathepete

Petty Officer 1st Class
Grease your gimbal bearing and see if it helps. Granted, it probably won't but it's at least really easy