gonna brag on myself for a minute

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
or three....

Here in middle TN we have some pretty stuff. We have a state archeological park about 10 minutes from us. Feeds my preferred lake a few more minutes away. 117 year old bridge on the most biologically diverse river in the North American continent. Big tourist draw. Lots of more back story but the state thinks its best to tear it out because there is federal money avail so they will damage the river for about 50 years while it attempts to restores itself after the raping it will get over the next couple three years putting in the new.

Anywho I got involved thru a customer of mine (i do handyman work in my semi retired state of existence) and decided my involvement would be to build and enter a float in our October 'Old Timers' parade we have each year.

Out of 59 entries (I think it was) we took first place to raise awareness.

Yes, we had a large macaw in the back of old Betsy, who limped thru in first gear due to an electrical shifting issue. Dam Fords.

1699378473694.png.

County government, who is 100% on our side, allowed me to remove from the trailer and put inside the main lobby of the county administrative building until I remove and re-modify for the Christmas parade late this month.

Made it to a couple local small town papers, couple radio interviews.

Man floats novel idea to save historic bridge

1699378701009.png

Local handyman Joe McKeehan sets up the display of the Save Our Stone Fort Bridge award winning float at the Coffee County Administrative Plaza where it will be housed until the Manchester Christmas Parade.

1699378865041.png
Local handyman Joe McKeehan sets up the display of the Save Our Stone Fort Bridge award winning float at the Coffee County Administrative Plaza where it will be housed until the Manchester Christmas Parade

The Save Our Stone Fort Bridge award winning float was recently moved into the foyer at the Coffee County Administrative Plaza where it will stay until the Manchester Christmas Parade, Nov. 24.​

Coffee County Mayor Judd Matheny said the county is pleased to show its support.
“We look forward to having the replica display there as a show of support for the county’s advocacy in support of the bridge,” he said.

“The Commission voted unanimously for an option to keep the bridge and I believe it’s appropriate for the community to use space at CCAP for anything that has such broad and confirmed support,” Matheny added.

Matheny said the float’s presence there will not inhibit county operations in any way.

The float will be in place during the Tennessee State parks’ public comment meeting scheduled for Nov. 6.

State officials will hold an open meeting at 5:30 p.m., Nov. 6 to hear public comments on a proposed new bridge for Old Stone Fort State Archaeological Park. The meeting will be at the Coffee County Administrative Plaza located at 1329 McArthur St., Manchester.
Comments concerning the bridge can be submitted at https://stateoftennessee.formstack.com/forms/osfsap_suvey.
According to the state, the proposed bridge would be for vehicles and pedestrians and would replace a current bridge at the park. The new bridge would allow access to the recreational vehicle campground from the park’s main entrance. Anyone may attend, and comments on the proposal are welcome. The public may also make comments online at this link until Nov. 15.
“We encourage anyone interested to attend the meeting to learn more about the proposed project and provide input,” Mike Robertson, director of operations for Tennessee State Parks said. “We always want to improve visitor experience at the park, and understanding the perspectives of our guests is critical to success.”

I spoke a few times at the meeting along with many others but the big bad state seems to just be checking a process box on their way to ripping it out.

sangerwaker

Commander
Good for you, Joe! Nice work. I hope you are able to win this and keep your bridge. Bureaucracy is such a pain sometimes.

flashback

Captain
I feel your pain, we had a steel bridge very similar here in spring city, problem was US 27 was 4 lanes and the old bridge over piney River could not accommodate. It's been gone a good while and I miss it.

southkogs

Staff member
That's killer lookin' Joe: did you build the model? If yes is that metal / wood / what?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
did you build the model? If yes is that metal / wood / what?
yeah i jumped in for about $300 bucks (as relayed to the wife at the time) and i'm in for over $1500 (not relayed to the wife as of yet, if ever) and on the board of our non profit.

Save for the OSB 'river' it is all PT wood, screws and some staples for the twine that acts as cables.

I've got solar light in two colors for the christmas parade, a projector and so far 28 minutes of christmas video clips to put on a screen while we are in the parade.

Need to mount on an 18' trailer, built the screen frame out of some PVC pipes.

The bridge will be pulled by betsy (truck) and norman (my handyman work sportwagen) will pull what was up in the bed of betsy - so I've entered two floats.

Just got back from a meeting at the mayors office. Never wuda thunk it...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yeah i jumped in for about $300 bucks (as relayed to the wife at the time) and i'm in for over $1500 (not relayed to the wife as of yet, if ever) and on the board of our non profit.
so how much is it worth to keep AC in the dark..... Just asking

aspeck

Staff member
so how much is it worth to keep AC in the dark..... Just asking
You dirty dog, that is just plain blackmail ... But Joe, I gotta agree with Scott, What's it worth to ya? (Yep, it is in the Mod contract ... we have permission to shake down the membership ... Christmas is coming!:eek::p)

jbcurt00

Staff member
I've met Joe, nice enough fella, but yep, what's it worth to ya? Mod privilege....

Hoping George makes a swift & full recovery.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Joe, will just take a beer (again) the next time you are down here.

And yes, Joe and his Admiral are top-notch people.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
We try. Ive kinda talked a bit about it costing me more but thus far but in the facebook group about it most all my posting has been under business name (just call dad) and have picked up a few customers and I'm also tracking all expenses under advertising cost. I still have a couple years to lose money on my startup sooooo....

Cannot blackmail me just yet.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
There is an old metal historical bridge about 30 miles north of us. The town decided to renovate it as apposed to replacing it. The concession was that it became one lane of traffic. They installed traffic lights to control traffic.

I for one am glad they were able to resolve the issue and save the bridge.

Good for you Joe!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
last night was christmas parade. it was like pro level stuff but still fun.

theme was 'christmas in movies' so I loaded up a couple hours of christmas movie clips . Cranks, Elf, Peanuts, Frosty, etc plus peppered in a bunch of the bridge scene from its a wonderful life.

When we got home

1701020673058.png