glue/solvent weld for plexi windshield?

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class
my '64 starchief has the old fighter-jet-look plexiglass windscreen. it's predictably cracked n crazed, but i'm probably leaving it as i don't want boat to look too new. on the center section that swings open, there is a big crack the width of the section. i'm planning on putting a reinforcing patch on outside so i can still open it. got the plexi for the patch, but i have some Qs:

1. any suggestions for glue to use to bond patch to existing windshield and try to close up crack? planning on using a bunch of #4 or 6 machine screws & nylocks to "stitch" it to existing once i get curve bent correctly, so the glue won't be 100% of the structural strength of the fix.

2. anyone tried softening plexi to bend it before? i've used a heat gun but that was just to make a windshield for my bike out of 1/8" and involved a straight bend along a piece of conduit for a form. in this case, i need a smooth wide radius bend to follow curve of windshield. am i out of my mind to think of using the toaster oven at 200 deg or so?

thanks yet again!

fshngho

Lieutenant
Re: glue/solvent weld for plexi windshield?

Barato, try going to your local Glass shop. There is an acrylic glue that is made to glue plexiglas or lexan together. You might try looking in the phone book for plex suppliers too. Remember to drill 1/16" hole at end of crack to stop it. If you are going to try to make a windshield, invest in Lexan Mar-Guard. You can even go with 1/8" thick if desired. This stuff is unbreakable. Plex will crack/break when drilling if you are not carefull. Lexan can even be put in a metal break and bent like metal:D. The Mar-Guard will resist scratching (but it will still scratch if not taken care of). You can also get the UV resistance if you want.
For the money, I wouldn't recommend anything less. Do it once.
And yes, its almost twice the price of plex.

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: glue/solvent weld for plexi windshield?

unfortunately, it's a little late for the 1/8" hole....it's not just a crack, it's broken all the way across the center section. you can sorta see it in this pic (look above bow rail):

http://forums.iboats.com/album.php?albumid=323&pictureid=2187

and thanx for the input on the Lexan...will definitely go that way if i decide to do an entire windshield. for now, though, the prev owner's fix on the main portion of windshield is holding fine and no water leakage, and i actually WANT it to look kind of old, patched & crappy(will explain in main thread on my boat) so i'm just going to add a reinforcing patch on outside of center portion. SCAAAAABBBBBY......the guys in the big Bertrams will wince as i wave at them in passing.:rolleyes: