Gimbal Housing Studs for a Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1. Need the specific part # or size for these.

1985 Century Mustang

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm redoing my transom, and I just removed the gimbal housing after a lot of sweat, cheater bars and penetration oil 🤨. Anyhow 2 studs broke off of the gimball housing. Does anyone know the part #. I need to order two. And I'm going to have to tap out the two broken bolts out hopefully. Thanks

matt167

Captain
I'm probably going to be in the same boat so I looked it up. .437-20 is 7/16"-20 If your frugal enough, you could make them out of a bolt. Needs to be stainless is all

1985 Century Mustang

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just bought the bolts on eBay, and a Heli Coil set on Amazon. I have one almost drilled out. The rest should be easy. Thanks everyone. 👍

1985 Century Mustang

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just watched a video on the better thread lock for bolts, as I'm going to be installing them on the gimbal housing. 2 Studs broke off and I'm using a Heli-Coil to reinstall them. Looking to see what you recommend for a good thread lock. I came up with Vibra Tite VC3 from this video. Your thoughts, thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
I just watched a video on the better thread lock for bolts, as I'm going to be installing them on the gimbal housing. 2 Studs broke off and I'm using a Heli-Coil to reinstall them. Looking to see what you recommend for a good thread lock. I came up with Vibra Tite VC3 from this video. Your thoughts, thanks.
Ayuh, you really don't need anything, they'll corrode together, anyways,.....

If you insist, any loc-tite will work,.....

'n don't keep starting new threads about this same problem, as it leads to confusion,....