Gearset Noise?

Waterproof

Cadet
Sorry for the second post here, perhaps I can clarify a bit more. I hear a "Chatter" or rattle from my gearste on my 1988 Merc. 115 I-6 OB on quick RPM changes. If I goose the throttle, this noise is heard during the RPM change, then subsides as the RPM becomes stable. I hear this noise while in neutral, or in gear while on the muffs, but the boat runs fine otherwise. Is this an indication of "Normal" gearset wear, or will my lower unit die soon? Thanks for your help! No abnormal metal in fluid, otherwise great operation. dualscott@hotmail.com

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Gearset Noise?

If your gearlube isn't highly metallic, you have nothing to worry about.

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the noise present in or out of the water? Do you have a stainless steel or aluminum prop? If you hear the noise while running on a flush attachment, you are most likely hearing "clutch rattle" which is completely normal. If you are hearing the noise when the engine is in the water, you may have an issue in the gearcase. Let us know what you have and what you find out!<br /><br />Good Luck!! :)

Waterproof

Cadet

I only hear the noise on the muffs in Neutral, or in gear. In the water I do not hear it, perhaps BC the lower unit is under water. What is clutch rattle? I hope I have it! (But I'm not too sure I have a clutch :confused:

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class

Clutch rattle is normal in that situation. clutch rattle is caused by the clutch which is somewhat loose on the propshaft and you hear a "rattle" when the engine is running without a load. Due to the somewhat rough idle quality of two strokes out of the water, the rattling sound you are hearing is normal.