Gas tanks in my 88 Winner 1850 CC

mmmckillip

Cadet
I just recently purchased a 88 Winner 1850 CC. The guy I bought the boat from said the gas tanks need to be drained and cleaned. My first thought was I would just take the tanks out, drain and clean them but after I removed the CC I saw that the tanks were not coming out unless I cut the floor. I siphoned the gas out of the front tank but I cannot get to the second tank in the back to siphon it. I tried hooking up a fuel pump to the back of the boat but I couldn't get it to prime. I bought some star tron fuel tank cleaner from overtons and am wainting for it to arrive. Is it wrong that I can't get the fuel pump to suck fuel from the back of the boat? It pulls a little bit through but not like it does when you put the hose directly in the fuel tank. Please any suggestions on what I should do to get the fuel out of the second tank are appriciated.

Thanks

pny212

Seaman
Re: Gas tanks in my 88 Winner 1850 CC

I have the same make model and year boat, and have had some fuel related issues, I did the startron deal and it did help as my boat sat for a couple years before I got it, but I used an air gun and reverse blew the lines out every couple times I took the boat out and now it's perfect as the gunk got eaten up with fuel treatments , I was affraid as there is supposed to be a back pressure valve not to let the fuel go back into the tank, but I have never had an issue with that, just take the fuel cap off and slowly apply preassure untill she bubbles real good, also check the fuel vent as mine was cloged

I use bell marine mxo fuel treatment as my merc dealer swears by it and it does seem to help as I am not using the boat to often and she runs perfect when I want to go out without any worries,

ps let that tank cleaner sit in there as long as possible and the enzimes will go to work, like those scrubbing bubbles guys

good luck,
Paul

mmmckillip

Cadet

I have the same make model and year boat, and have had some fuel related issues, I did the startron deal and it did help as my boat sat for a couple years before I got it, but I used an air gun and reverse blew the lines out every couple times I took the boat out and now it's perfect as the gunk got eaten up with fuel treatments , I was affraid as there is supposed to be a back pressure valve not to let the fuel go back into the tank, but I have never had an issue with that, just take the fuel cap off and slowly apply preassure untill she bubbles real good, also check the fuel vent as mine was cloged

I use bell marine mxo fuel treatment as my merc dealer swears by it and it does seem to help as I am not using the boat to often and she runs perfect when I want to go out without any worries,

ps let that tank cleaner sit in there as long as possible and the enzimes will go to work, like those scrubbing bubbles guys

good luck,
Paul

Do you know the size of each tank?
I only paid 2600.00 for mine but I got it from my wifes uncle and it did need a little work. 5k sounds about right for a good working boat in good shape. Everything I have read about Winner boats says they are good and long lasting.

winner owner

Seaman

I also have the same boat and had fuel issues when I first got it.I removed the fuel hose from the outboard, held it lower than the fuel tank and used the primer bulb to siphon it all out.I did this 3 times,3 full tanks in 3 out until the COLOR of the gas going in the tank is the SAME WHEN SIPHONED OUT. I also installed a fuel water separator .Never had fuel problems since.

Good luck!

pny212

Seaman

I have a 40 gallon white poly tank, and I also put the water seperating filter on it

thx,
Paul

mmmckillip

Cadet

I have a 40 gallon white poly tank, and I also put the water seperating filter on it

thx,
Paul

Do you only have 1 tank? Mine has 2, a big 1 in the front and a smaller 1 behind that.

mmmckillip

Cadet

I also have the same boat and had fuel issues when I first got it.I removed the fuel hose from the outboard, held it lower than the fuel tank and used the primer bulb to siphon it all out.I did this 3 times,3 full tanks in 3 out until the COLOR of the gas going in the tank is the SAME WHEN SIPHONED OUT. I also installed a fuel water separator .Never had fuel problems since.

Good luck!

Did you siphon the same gas through it three times or did u use new gas everytime? What did you do with the bad gas?

winner owner

Seaman

New gas IN each time...bad stuff was at the bottom...constant flow of new gas rattled most of the bad stuff up and out.

The bad gas was diluted enough with the fresh gas that my lawn mower and snow blower burned it up EAsy.

I also added fuel conditioner to the snow blower and lawn mower tanks...I do that with every fill up regardless.

My boat has 1 gas cap to fill r up.There is a small hole under the center console which exposes ONE gas tank that is visible...don't know if another one is behind that?

Cheers!

mmmckillip

Cadet

Do you guys have any idea on how to loosen up the throttle? It is really stiff and could use some loosening... Any ideas are appriciated.

pny212

Seaman

disconnect the cable on both sides to see if your problem is the cable or the throttle on the console or the motor, I replaced all of my cable including steering, I basically have a new boat, my brother has a 88 angler with the same motor and I can barely turn the wheel on it, his problem is in the mid section of the motor

winner owner

Seaman

Also check your linkages and synchronization ...mine were also WAY out of whack. I purchased a maintenance manual specific to my outboard ...followed the procedure to lynch and sync....after 3to4 attempts I finally got it right.

Now my throttle is much smoother.

mmmckillip

Cadet

disconnect the cable on both sides to see if your problem is the cable or the throttle on the console or the motor, I replaced all of my cable including steering, I basically have a new boat, my brother has a 88 angler with the same motor and I can barely turn the wheel on it, his problem is in the mid section of the motor

so if it is the cables the only thing i can do is replace them? i know the steering stuff is new because the guy i bought it from gave me receipts on it from 05

winner owner

Seaman

The throttle cable at the motor side is connected to the linkages. Removing the cable from the linkages will allow you to see if the cable is damaged and in need of replacing or....I suspect someone overtightened it when IMPROPERLY adjusting the linkages.

You will need a manual to do it right...even if you replace with new cable.