fuse between battery selector switch and new fuse panel?

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I will be installing a new 6 circuit 100A Blue Sea fuse panel on the transom to clean up some of the existing wiring. Right now there are 2 downriggers, 1 usb port, a wash down pump, and a bilge pump all connected directly to one or the other battery with in-line fuses. I plan to leave the bilge pump connected directly to a battery, but will connect the other things to the new fuse panel and eliminate the in-line fuses.

My question is; should I install a fuse between the battery selector switch and the new fuse block? What kind of fuse, and what amperage? I will plan to use #6 wire, and it's about a 14" run.

Thanks, Mike

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I would use a circuit breaker (manual reset or auto reset). Like any circuit protection you need to compute the actual amount of power (amps) that breaker will be asked to deliver. #6 AWG is rated for 60A max. The ground bus must be wired with the same 6 AWG wire.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I would use a circuit breaker (manual reset or auto reset). Like any circuit protection you need to compute the actual amount of power (amps) that breaker will be asked to deliver. #6 AWG is rated for 60A max. The ground bus must be wired with the same 6 AWG wire.
Thanks. The downriggers are 30 amps each, I'm not sure what the washdown and usb port would draw, plus I may add more load to the two empty spots. I would like to wire it as if it had the full 100 amp load, some day it might. What size cable would I need for 100 amps, and should the circuit breaker just be 100 amp, or a bit bigger, like 120a or so?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
4 gauge
Thanks. The downriggers are 30 amps each, I'm not sure what the washdown and usb port would draw, plus I may add more load to the two empty spots. I would like to wire it as if it had the full 100 amp load, some day it might. What size cable would I need for 100 amps, and should the circuit breaker just be 100 amp, or a bit bigger, like 120a or so?
Use 4 gauge

Wouldn’t bother fusing a 14” long feed line