Fuel air vent...

hippie2

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2014, 22ft Tidewater CC with a Yamaha F150. I bought this boat new and when I refill the gas tank it takes forever! I can't place the gas nozzle on slow because that is even too fast. I talked to the dealer who said all 2014 boats and newer are required to have a carbon filter on the air vent line which slows the amount of air escaping from the tank and slows the filling process. Did anyone hear about taking this carbon filter off and running a rubber hose where the filter was in order to avoid this PIA? Thank you

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 2014, 22ft Tidewater CC with a Yamaha F150. I bought this boat new and when I refill the gas tank it takes forever! I can't place the gas nozzle on slow because that is even too fast. I talked to the dealer who said all 2014 boats and newer are required to have a carbon filter on the air vent line which slows the amount of air escaping from the tank and slows the filling process. Did anyone hear about taking this carbon filter off and running a rubber hose where the filter was in order to avoid this PIA? Thank you

The rule is true and there are two methods to achieve the same result. Most builder opt for the cheapest way to do it. They place a charcoal filter inline leading from the tank to the vent. Another way which meets current regulations is to run a line from the tank to the same fill neck which is sealed off when the cap is installed. This requires two vent lines and fixes the issue. Here is Perko's listing and others makers or gas fill necks have similar discussions

http://www.perkofuelsystems.com/syst...pical_systems/

UncleWillie

Captain
I have a 2012 Boat with the charcoal canister.
I have no issues with filling the tank.
The vent restriction from the canister is minimal.

Are you sure you are venting at all?
I would confirm that the fill and vent lines are unrestricted, and do not have any Dips in them that are forming "Traps".
There is no reason to have problems filling the tank if the fuel plumbing is correct.

hippie2

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks to all that replied. I have saved the Perco site for the diagrams. According to what you men are saying I will open the compartment and see if a line is bent shut, twisted or whatever. A fellow on another board has the same boat as I do and he has the exact same problem as I have. He suggested filling the tank with the nozel pointed from inside the boat toward the outside. He said it helps his boat somewhat. Well I have a brand new boat and want it fixed the correct way that's why I came to this forum. Thank you all for the advice, Bob

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If the fill line to the tank is restricted you can can have the same problem when filling because the fuel backs up the fill line. So when you checking out the vent line, also look at the fill line for twists and kinks.

You can verify it's the canister by temporarily disconnecting the vent line into the canister. If it fills without clicking off, you know it's the canister. Don't fill it too much or gas may spit out of the vent. If it still clicks off, examine the fill line.

After verifying it's the vent, the link AllDodge with the vent to the fill cap is a good option. If you don't have extra vent port in the tank, put a tee in the vent line before the canister and run the added vent to the cap. This assuming you have access to the fill and vent lines. Which is another issue.

UncleWillie

Captain
A 2014 boat with the Carbon Canister in the vent line will also likely have a one way valve in the Fill Line within a foot of the fuel tank.
If the Fill Valve does not open freely, you will have major issues during filling.

Fuel Fitting2b.jpg