Found My HIN# Now Too verify Year-Model!

vwfoolwhy

Seaman
Found My HIN# Now I need to verify Year & Model!

"Serial S9 No 4126"

Found this under a thin layer of paint on the inside of the transom up under the splash well.

Now I need to verify the Year and Model and every thing should be good for registering it.

Mike Methuen, MA

woosterken

Lieutenant
Re: Found My HIN# Now Too verify Year-Model!

VW,
I googled "how to read HIN number on a boat"
click on 3rd. topic down.
it says you have to go to the Massachusetts enviormental police 1-800-632-8075

they inspect it and give you a 12 number HIN to register the boat.
there is also a place on the US coast gaurd web site to find
info

hope this helps

woosterken

pduquette

Ensign

I don't know how to decipher the old style hin. Codeing was not standardised untill '72-'73 ; so these are probably model then production numbers.I'm gonna say yours is a 1961 as it was the earliest attempt at a styled dash and also the raised gunnel cap by the transom , as on my oxford.

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 0

pduquette

Ensign

--Forgot to add ... The Westfield would be your 17'er ,double check the Fiberglasics brochures to deternine custom/delux etc.. BTW ask EDC nicely , and he may send you a copy of the '61 ad :D (I believe I still owe him a beverage of choice for my copy!!!):D:D Rigt ED?:)

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer

BTW ask EDC nicely , and he may send you a copy of the '61 ad :D (I believe I still owe him a beverage of choice for my copy!!!):D:D Rigt ED?:)[/QUOTE]

YEP...........
I have most of the MFG catalogs from the late 50's to the 70's Anyone wishing a full color reproduction (if I have your year) can PM me for full details. Looking foward to a cold one Pete! :D :D
Ed
1968 MFG Edinboro
1969 Merc 80

vwfoolwhy

Seaman

Thanks every one. I'll be sure to PM EdC and set some thing up as well.

I contacted the Massachusetts Environmental Police today to schedule a hull inspection. Now I'm on a waiting list that may take up to six weeks.

"Fun Fun Fun"

Oh well more time to clean and repair items I planed to put off till the end of the season. Like the windshield replacement and removal of unused or unknown hardware.

I've seen a lot of strange hardware but this boat has toped them all.

I plan to take a few PIC's and post them up so we all can play. "Name That Piece Game"

Mike
Methuen, MA

pduquette

Ensign

Hi VWF!I just did my reg over @ the EP offices friday ; went snoothly -even at noon time. Because of my trip I re-looked at the '61 brochure I got from ED. Looks like two models -the Edinboro and the Northeast hardtop were offered as 17'ers ...I'd guess if yours got hardware it would be a NE. Would be cool to get the top!!! Is the PO using it as a coldframe some where???:p good luck with your inspection.

vwfoolwhy

Seaman

Had my hull inspection done last week. Ended up bringing it to the EP for a quicker possess. It's now and for ever more a 63 "Westfield Custom" as this is the most info I could gather from pictures and other online references.

The Westfield custom was a 17'er and was offered with the Hard top, center ventilation windshield, along with the stow away dash.

It definitely had the Hard top as the lock down hardware is still on the boat along with the seal on the windshield. Plus the remains of the optional windshield wiper

Registering it was a real pain as the Mass EP wanted the past title or registration. All I had was a bill of sale so no luck for registering it in Massachusetts.

So I registered it in New Hampshire and will transfer it to Massachusetts next year.

For now I've rewired the bow light and replaced the anchor light. It's been raining every day so I haven't been able to lay the new floor but was able to cut the new windshield pieces today.

Hope to have it in the water by next weekend.

Mike
Methuen, MA

bhammatt

Cadet

After three years of on and off work this may just be the year my 1960 Oxford makes it in the water (if the snow doesn't come to soon!). I'm paintng the hull now and getting down to some of the finer issues in my restoration project including recreating the HIN decal on the inside of the transom. There is enough of the original showing so that I can make a reproduction but the actual numbers have been worn away. From the format it would appear that the "Serial" # is perhaps the model code and the "Number" is the hull number. Anyone have the answer? Do you think that the number applies to that model or the total MFG production.
Any thoughts as to what the serial number for a 1960 Oxford would be? How about every one posting original HINs and see if we could learn from that what the system might have been.

pduquette

Ensign

Hi Bhammat! I think that when our boats were made there was little consistency to how each manufacturer numbered their boats . I think for ours it was something like >2digit year<>2digitmodel code<>4digitsequence number< so.... 60ox1234 would = a 1960 oxford ,1234 off the production line. Please be advised my info is second hand and I've never had #'s to verify it by......:redface: All said 'n done it aint in the format the EP/USCG wants so they hill have to issue you a MSZ# anyhow . industry standardization came about 1973. peter P.s.any picts???:)

bhammatt

Cadet

VWFOOLWHY reports a serial of S9. Wonder if that may actually be 59 in stead of S9 and stand for the year1959 ? But That doesn't seem to jibe with his what he thinks the model year actually is. Could the "S9", if it is an "s", stand for the model, ie Westfield. Still a puzzle to be solved.

pduquette

Ensign

Maybe the folks at Fiberglassics.com / or another old boat site might have some insight thats more solid than my info. The guy that set up the old mfg web site (now part of the fiberglassics site) is the one who explained it to me , but he has been off the radar for a while. Read "MFG site bites the dust" in the beginning few post of this section.
VWF's boat is a big sister to mine ; look at his dash picts + my dash . '61was the only year they tried that style . The 1960 and before had flat gunnel caps at the transom . I'm pretty sure your oxford has the flat gunnel caps and a smooth concave dash right? very similar to mark42 's niagra .After '61 our oxford was shortened ,the bow sloped , new seating added and along came the niagra .That's also why we can hang 50's on the back an' niagra is rated for 40-(or 45:confused:).
Now that I've made it sound like my panties are all bunched up:rolleyes:; I'll just say it only is of historical interest. My oxford had NO numbers (due to the p.o.'s bad transom job) so the MSZ#hin issued by the EP were the only thing the ep cared about. It took me an hour at the EP office with a copy of the '61 mfg brochure and pictures of my boat to get them to change the info on the title to be correct. So even if there is a discrepency it CAN be fixed:) As long as the EP issue a MSZhin and its afixed to the boat ,take it one step at a time!
Again -just friendly discussion even tho it may read as a "rant":)