Fouling spark plugs

WinnerCougar74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thick rag with solvent (acetone). Screw/twist the surface till the brown stops showing.
I never killed a set of plugs. Have heard reccomendation, change every 3 years or 300 hours, which ever comes first.
Great thanks. I have acetone and will try it out.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
My engine fouls plugs no matter what I do. Running recreational fuel at 50-1. Idle screws at 1 turn out on both carbs. I run at low speeds a lot while trying to mark fish.
If this scenario is what bothers you, it's the nature of that beast...

Fouled Spark Plugs.JPG

A 2 strokes motor will foul spark plugs from brand new out of the box if the motor runs at idle rpm for long time trolling periods, will depend entirely on the motor's brand, the fuel/air idle adjustment, 2 stroke oil type, mineral, semi synthetic, full synthetic, if the motor runs a 50:1 pre mixed or it's a VOR motor which uses very little oil when the motor runs at idle compared to a constant pre mixed 50:1 ratio burned at same trolling idle rpm,

So if the motor hesitates a bit when opening the throttle after trolling for long time periods, when that small hesitation ends run that motor wot as if stealing the combo when returning to terra firme for the spark plugs to be self cleaned. Use the spark plugs and heat range the manufacturer recommends...

Happy Boating

WinnerCougar74

Petty Officer 1st Class

View attachment 351776

A 2 strokes motor will foul spark plugs from brand new out of the box if the motor runs at idle rpm for long time trolling periods, will depend entirely on the motor's brand, the fuel/air idle adjustment, 2 stroke oil type, mineral, semi synthetic, full synthetic, if the motor runs a 50:1 pre mixed or it's a VOR motor which uses very little oil when the motor runs at idle compared to a constant pre mixed 50:1 ratio burned at same trolling idle rpm,

So if the motor hesitates a bit when opening the throttle after trolling for long time periods, when that small hesitation ends run that motor wot as if stealing the combo when returning to terra firme for the spark plugs to be self cleaned. Use the spark plugs and heat range the manufacturer recommends...

Happy Boating
Thanks. Sounds like good advise. Many other experts say the same thing about pre-mixed older 2 stroke outboards. Running it at WOT from time to time is easier than constantly fiddling with this motor. I'm gonna leave the idle screws at 1 turn out for the next few trips. Clean the recirculation system. Only fill up the gas right before each trip so the mix is a fresh as it can be and at least for the next few trip I'll pull the plugs first just to get a look at them before I hit the water. Not to much to do for a 47 year old motor.

WinnerCougar74

Petty Officer 1st Class

View attachment 351776

Happy Boating
Also, I tried running those style plugs and almost ruined my motor. I have to stick with gapless on my motor. Many stories of these plugs putting holes in the pistons. That almost happened to me.

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
I think in the picture the plugs are on the wrong side of the head, Maybe. I can't be sure...