forward drive/bravo 4

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Anybody out there using either the Volvo Forward drive or Bravo 4 drive for recreational (aka we're not that good at it...) wake surfing behind an IO boat ?

Was just curious for folks that aren't that Seriou$ about it how does it work out behind a non wakeboard boat? Even if I had the disposable income for a wake boat I wouldn't want to chuck up that level of coin...

Have a 21 ft low hour great shape bowrider that I repowered 7 years ago. I'm very mechanically inclined had a idea of getting the transom and drive to put on this boat. Yes would be easier to by one of the high end bowriders that comes with a forward drive or B4.. but I like building things vs buying them (sometimes to my detriment).

Was looking for feedback if anyone is running such a set up before thinking to hard about a conversion

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I know a few people with VP IPS drives. They like everything except needing deeper water than a traditional drive.

If you are going to wakesurf, sure beats planting your face into the props

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I know a few people with VP IPS drives. They like everything except needing deeper water than a traditional drive.

If you are going to wakesurf, sure beats planting your face into the props
Yeah IPS is a little different. I have a dock/hoist in a shallow cove so having the props in front isnt real appealing either..

paulswagelock

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Friend has the Volvo version. Likes it, does ok for a casual wake, and is better than a fixed prop for regular cruising. Loading on a trailer and his lift both required new skills and cautions because of the increase draft.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Friend has the Volvo version. Likes it, does ok for a casual wake, and is better than a fixed prop for regular cruising. Loading on a trailer and his lift both required new skills and cautions because of the increase draft.
Thanks for your input. i was thinking normal crusie would be better than a V drive.
draft concerns and trailer height are potential issues. It wouldn’t be a cheap project but if it would work would be cheaper than an newer boat… and i like what i have now size wise … plus its paid for.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you want a forward drive on a boat...sell your boat and buy one with one.

The wakesurfing is going to suck unless you put a lot of ballast in your boat. A 21' boat will not be big enough to get a big enough wake. In addition, you will have to get big tabs to create the wake. Most boats that you surf behind have an automatic throttle control to keep a constant speed.

I have a Cobalt R5 that is also available as a Surf model....even it kinda sucks compared to a real surf boat.

I have surfed behind a number of dedicated surf boats. Even boats that were made just 7 years ago pale to what a newer surf boat creates for a wave.

Good luck finding a Bravo 4. I personally have never seen one on a production boat...likely because Volvo almost immediately sued Mercruiser.

Last edited:

Scott06

Vice Admiral
If you want a forward drive on a boat...sell your boat and buy one with one.

The wakesurfing is going to suck unless you put a lot of ballast in your boat. A 21' boat will not be big enough to get a big enough wake. In addition, you will have to get big tabs to create the wake. Most boats that you surf behind have an automatic throttle control to keep a constant speed.

I have a Cobalt R5 that is also available as a Surf model....even it kinda sucks compared to a real surf boat.

I have surfed behind a number of dedicated surf boats. Even boats that were made just 7 years ago pale to what a newer surf boat creates for a wave.

Good luck finding a Bravo 4. I personally have never seen one on a production boat...likely because Volvo almost immediately sued Mercruiser.
Thanks for your comments.

The antea for an R5 or surf boat is not in my cards, plus I like mechanical projects ... hence the thought. Figured some sacks or other mods would be needed as well...

I haven't seen a B 4 sold new or used anywhere so may be a moot point