flywheel replacement

rockypond

Cadet
i have a 1985 carver twin MerCruisers GM 260 MIE , found the teeth on the flywheel are bad , my question is the boat is still in the water . how to build a hoist to move the engine , how to separate the engine from the bell housing and moving the engine forward and backword . does the engine need to be lifted to clear the engine mounts ? any ideas i may have overlooked ? thank you

Bondo

Staff member
i have a 1985 carver twin MerCruisers GM 260 MIE , found the teeth on the flywheel are bad , my question is the boat is still in the water . how to build a hoist to move the engine , how to separate the engine from the bell housing and moving the engine forward and backword . does the engine need to be lifted to clear the engine mounts ? any ideas i may have overlooked ? thank you
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,......

Build a beam from gunwale to gunwale, 'n lift from it,.....

'n you don't need a new flywheel,....
You need a new Ring Gear,.....

flashback

Captain
I believe you will need to get it out of the water and pull the drive first..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Your choice to spend $15 on a new ring gear or $100 on a new flywheel.

I would go the ring gear route

Being an inboard you shouldn't have to put the boat on the hard. However I would I would also pull both motors and clean the bilge

rockypond

Cadet
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,......

Build a beam from gunwale to gunwale, 'n lift from it,.....

'n you don't need a new flywheel,....
You need a new Ring Gear,.....
thank you Bondo for your reply , where do i find information on how to separate the engine from the transmission and clearing the motor mounts ?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
thank you Bondo for your reply , where do i find information on how to separate the engine from the transmission and clearing the motor mounts ?
You don't with a v drive. You separate the props haft coupler from the output coupler on the v drive and pull the whole works out.

Then separate the transmission/v drive from the motor and pull the flex plate and flywheel and replace the ring gear

FYI I've never seen any nomenclature regarding engine r and r. Merc manuals are vague and boat manufacturers give as little info as possible it seems

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Your choice to spend $15 on a new ring gear or $100 on a new flywheel.

I would go the ring gear route

Being an inboard you shouldn't have to put the boat on the hard. However I would I would also pull both motors and clean the bilge
and spend the difference on Bendix and check wiring for corrosion.

kenny nunez

Captain
It may be possible to just separate the engine at the flywheel housing. The only thing that could cause a problem is if the splined shaft is rusted into the flex plate. If that happens then by working through the starter mount hole unbolt the plate from the flywheel. As Scott said the ring gear is replaceable , With a brass punch and a suitable hammer drive the gear off, go to NAPA for a replacement, heat the new ring gear and just drop it on the flywheel. Be sure to replace the starter drive with a NEW one. Rebuilt ones are bad news and can damage the new ring gear.