First startup for the season and then died

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
First engine start for the season. It started up and ran rough for a minute or two like it wanted to stall and then died. Now it won't restart. At times it sounds like it wants to but doesn't catch. During one start attempt, it made a pop/hiss sound and blew the IAC filter out of the throttle body. Fuel pressure when turning the key on is 40ish psi.
Also, I did pull the injectors and get them cleaned as well as replace the PCV valve prior to first start.
Thoughts of what to look at next?

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's in my signature unless it's not showing.
Anyways, it's a 2005 MX 6.2 MPI w/Bravo 3. It's under 300 hrs.

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
First engine start for the season. It started up and ran rough for a minute or two like it wanted to stall and then died. Now it won't restart. At times it sounds like it wants to but doesn't catch. During one start attempt, it made a pop/hiss sound and blew the IAC filter out of the throttle body. Fuel pressure when turning the key on is 40ish psi.
Also, I did pull the injectors and get them cleaned as well as replace the PCV valve prior to first start.
Thoughts of what to look at next?
gasoline ... fuel filter also the water tank ..

dubs283

Vice Admiral
If the filter is a spin on type and installed empty the fuel pump will have a very difficult time self priming the fuel system

flashback

Captain
Apologies, the sig line doesn't show up on my phone. Yep sounds like water in the fuel

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have the cool fuel gen 3.
I will check. Assume it is water, how do I get rid of it? I have an 80 gallon tank.

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
Was your fuel stabilized when you put it in ?
Yes, I put the stabilizer in on a full tank and go for a short run to burn the tank down so I have somewhere between 3/4 to 7/8 tank over the winter. If this is water, it would be a first as my winterization routine has been the same every year.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yes, I put the stabilizer in on a full tank and go for a short run to burn the tank down so I have somewhere between 3/4 to 7/8 tank over the winter. If this is water, it would be a first as my winterization routine has been the same every year.
Wouldn't be surprised if you didn't get excess water at your fuel station. Many stations are to busy to check their tanks and change their filters !! Where you buy your fuel can make a " big" difference !! Get some fuel cans and pump out your tank and check the contents. Once you remove the water from fuel tank you should be good. If no water is found then you know to look for other issues.

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wouldn't be surprised if you didn't get excess water at your fuel station. Many stations are to busy to check their tanks and change their filters !! Where you buy your fuel can make a " big" difference !! Get some fuel cans and pump out your tank and check the contents. Once you remove the water from fuel tank you should be good. If no water is found then you know to look for other issues.
That's why I get my fuel at more reputable places even though there is one station near me that sells it way cheaper which would be nicer on my wallet....but you got to wonder why it's so much cheaper than all the other stations around :)
Thinking some more on this, it did seem like I had considerably more condensation on the engine when I opened her up to pull the injectors.
Maybe I had condensation in the tank since it wasn't full to the brim. We've been having some crazy temp swings lately.
I'm thinking before I tear into the tank, I might just disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail, turn the key on for a few seconds and let the fuel flow into a bottle and see what that shows.

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's why I get my fuel at more reputable places even though there is one station near me that sells it way cheaper which would be nicer on my wallet....but you got to wonder why it's so much cheaper than all the other stations around :)
Thinking some more on this, it did seem like I had considerably more condensation on the engine when I opened her up to pull the injectors.
Maybe I had condensation in the tank since it wasn't full to the brim. We've been having some crazy temp swings lately.
I'm thinking before I tear into the tank, I might just disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail, turn the key on for a few seconds and let the fuel flow into a bottle and see what that shows.
the fuel tank draining it of the bottle the engine hose ..watering it ..

Scott06

Vice Admiral
The signature wont show on a mobile device.

Check the fuel filter for contaminates, measure fuel pressure, and verify you have spark. The crab style dist caps used on MPIs are known trouble spots, wonder if you are getting arcing inside hence the pop.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Fuel and the infamous distributor cap would be my top two. Especially after storage.