Feedback on a snowblower...

View attachment 130863I know there are alot of members on here in snow country.... Canada, Vermont, etc... Some of you most likely have snowblowers, some plows. I am currently looking at a couple of different snow blowers as I am sick of bending over shoveling.

1st is a 1994 John Deere TRX26- 8HP 26" wide tracks drive not wheels.

2nd is an older John Deere 826- 8 HP 26" wide machine with standard tires.

3rd is a 1999 Troybilt 13Hp 32" machine. Troybilt is made by MTD I believe.

All are used machines in great condition, priced close together . Does anyone have any good or bad feedback on these machines.

My father has an older Deere blower and it goes thru anything.

Thanks,

Attachments

• 826.jpg
    826.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 0
  • trx.jpg
    trx.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 0
  • troybilt.jpg
    troybilt.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 0

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Feedback on a snowblower...

Best thing I can say about snowblowers is that in wet snow, you need alot more horseys than dry fluffy stuff!!!

(spent 2.5 hours today on one moving 6 inches of snowball, deluxe grade wet snow from driveway, UGH!)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I had a '97, almost like that Troybilt, 28" 10 hp I think, sold it 2 months ago since I have a plow now.

Not sure what engine that is, mine was a Tecumseh.

Not a bad machine, the tires on there will go through anything.

What I didn't like about it: Required both hands to stay on the controls at all times. Safety feature I'm sure. But it would be nice to be able to wipe the snow off your goggles without stopping.

MTD bought out Troybilt in 2001, so yours was made under the old Garden Way ownership.

Also, Briggs & Stratton took control of MTD and its brands, and now makes power toys under several dozen brands, including

Generac, Troybilt, Craftsman, Snapper, MTD, Yard Machine, Bolens.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I would buy the troy built and get some chains for the tires. The Briggs will last a long time and is cheap to keep running.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Regardless of which one........ I always opt for the electric start and always do the impellar "modification" to the 2d stage. Here is an example http://smllengns.tripod.com/id3.html but, I have always made my own from a piece of conveyor belt from tractor supply.

Bob_VT

Staff member

BTW All maintenance is fairly easy on them........ oil change, carb cleaning (Important) and the drive wheel disc if needed (keep it free from oil)

Alan_Scott

Seaman

And always clear your own property before offering to help out the elderly gent next door, he might forget to mention the extension cord stretched across his driveway.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I would stay away from the tracked versions.
Tires with chains will dig down and grap.
Tracks will just want to float and spin because there is less psi on the ground.
Plus when the track breaks, there is only one source for parts and that means the prices are way high.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I would stay away from the tracked versions.

yeah and they are a pain in the rump to move around the garage.

As for the neighbors, I prefer to just not make eye-contact and go back inside :p

RogersJetboat454

Commander

The Troybuilt or wheeled JD would be winners in my book with the Troybuilt being on top. As others have said, the tracked machine is not worth the hassle. My concern with the wheeled JD is availability of parts (looks like a vintage unit). Plus those tires look like turf tires. I would be changing them out for snows, or at least putting chains on them.

The troybuilt should be a decent machine as long as MTD/Briggs is still producing parts for the legacy equipment.
In all honesty, I have a true MTD 26" 8 Horse (cheapie) that has been well used for over a decade, and has held up well. It's all about maintenance and not beating up the machine.

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi all, I have been using the 5.5 hp MTD two stage with a OHV Tecumseh 'Snow King' engine for the last seven years. No problems. Starts first or second pull in the coldest temperatures and will handle snow or ice/snow (end of driveway snow-plough accumulated stuff), without a problem and I'm in the snowbelt area.

It may have a smaller (22" x 14") path but it eats through the mounds everytime. Starts far better in a freezing, blowing and snowing morn than my Briggs lawn mower on a warm summer day. I feel it's because of its (Tecumseh Snow King) 4 position manully set choke. I just regap the plug and change the oil each year and use premium fuel.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I bought a JD 928E from my BIL this fall and am very pleased with it. 9 hp beats the 5 hp Ariens I had for 20+ years hands down. The 5 hp was a good machine, but struggled when the snow was the least bit wet/heavy. Go with wheels, not tracks.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

as for the neighbors, i prefer to just not make eye-contact and go back inside :p

not me.

I get mine done with the atv/plow, then sit back and enjoy a nice cup of coffee and read the mail,

while watching the neighbors shovel. Then i put the atv away and go in the house.

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a solution...Move somewhere where it doesn't snow lol j/k :eek:

Bob_VT

Staff member

I have a solution...Move somewhere where it doesn't snow lol j/k :eek:

I am probably going to place a curse on myself.............. my 2500 is parked equipped with a 9' fisher plow and has not moved all winter............. my son has two snow blowers ......one with a 5 hp and one with a 9 hp (with the intent he would CL the smaller one this season :facepalm:) and nothing has seen any use. We even did the 2nd stage modification on the larger one.

I guess having a snow-less winter is rare ........... worst one I have seen in over 25 years............. great time to buy the equipment since people are frustrated sitting on that stuff.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

out of the three you have, I would recommend the Tracked JD. Once you go track, you will never go back.

However if you want longevity, the JD in the middle will last at least another decade or two. JD doesnt actually make their Outdoor Power Equipment, they buy it.

However if you were buying new, I would buy an Ariens.

the manufacturers (not brands) of Snow Blowers domestically are Ariens, Briggs&Stratton, MTD, Toro.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

I had to fire up the snow blower last weekend for the first time this year. Craftsman 10hp, 32" cut with track drive. Cleared snow over the top of the auger housing (prob 24") Cleared it without a problem. The track drive works very well, although if I were to buy another with track drive, I'd get a nicer model that you can disengage either side to make turning easier.