F-150 Transmission Issues (I think? . . . No, I thought )

tpenfield

Staff member
Do you possibly have a loose clamp or torn boot on turbo line? poss. a bad motor mount allowing it to stretch the boot and hard acceleration. a leak in boost side will cause a loud screeching sound
It is worth a look.

tpenfield

Staff member
After some delay, I have done some more research and have found a few videos of the exact noise that I have been hearing upon hard acceleration. The noise sounds like what others have diagnosed as 'wastegate flutter'

My truck sounds exactly like this . . .

So, this week, I will see about the wastegate & its actuator.

Thoughts?

64osby

Admiral
It doesn't sound good. Hoping to not add that issue to my 2013 150 Ecoboost.

Mine is in to have the Molded Leadframe replaced in the transmission. Started not shifting and dropping most the electronics off on the dash. Stealership is charging $1,300 for that.

I also have the timing chain / Cam Phaser rattle at startup. They are willing to fix that for a little over $6K. I'm still debating if this will happen. Also considering a reman install that should have all the updates to avoid further issues.

My first Ford truck in twenty years. Might be my last one too.

The more I read about the Ecoboost the less I like it. Those GM 35O's would run all day and night.

Last edited:

flashback

Captain
I've been in the back seat of this thread and you all have convinced me to keep my 2001 1500 as long as I can. I really don't need additional headaches...

tpenfield

Staff member
We all have our preferences . . . I've not been happy with the GM vehicles I've owned, and have favored the Fords over the years.

My understanding is that the 'flutter' or 'oscillation' as it is sometimes called is often caused by a failing actuator. My next steps are to check the wastegate actuators to see if the vacuum hose popped off or something. I think for not too much $$$, I could have the local shop replace the actuators, if needed. I think they are about $150 for the pair.

I'd be happy if the fix was that simple.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ted, if you never come off throttle, the waste gate can't come into play......

So....don't lift...

dolluper

Captain
You Could try this back woods fix lol
See the light weight spring
Stops the noise hopefully or you could be looking at cam phasers...Fords better idea

Attachments

• screenshot_20210830_130427_gallery_8274708174b91a851130cbebc0477fe5a78480fc.jpg
    screenshot_20210830_130427_gallery_8274708174b91a851130cbebc0477fe5a78480fc.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 5

dolluper

Captain
This is the size You see the spring attached on below actuator on wastegate linkage going over to turbo on the left.... ...it is a spring little burry

Attachments

• screenshot_20210830_130349_gallery_491cb1e154939f09a2f68affb384b88984d8048e_(1).jpg
    screenshot_20210830_130349_gallery_491cb1e154939f09a2f68affb384b88984d8048e_(1).jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

dolluper

Captain
Disregard all of the above it is for the new design...electronic actuators .....your lucky you have the old style vacuum actuators that you can adjust the wastegate.
Pop off vac hose and use a vac hand pump and pump up to 37 lbs(38 lbs opening) slowly increase if you reach 38 lbs without wastegate opening ...take wrench on nuts and adjust till just starts to open at 37 lbs .

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, I plan on checking the pressure tubes first and the diaphragms, then the actual wastegate mechanism. It would be nice to remedy the situation, as everything else seems to be fine with the truck.

dolluper

Captain
You can also turn your air compressor way down and apply pressure to actuator it should open wastegate at 3-5 psi and be fully open at about 15 psi

dolluper

Captain
Depending on how you want to spool up the turbo you can tighten or loosen the nuts on the actuator as it is only a spring inside that you are tensioning or slacking making wastegate open sooner or latter in combination with manifold pressures.fine tunning or screwing it up lol
Those engines always let them idle for couple minutes before shutting down especially after hard or highway use

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, I just want to get rid of the flutter so the turbo runs smoothly, particularly on hills.

flashback

Captain
Maybe take it out on the freeway and spool it up for a while, I'm thinking you have been running it a good bit below threshold and it may be fouled.

tpenfield

Staff member
To recap . . .

I bought the truck November of 2021 and drove it from MA to CT and back to pick up a (big) trailer. I don't remember it having the flutter then.

I pulled the (big) boat out of the water in November and the truck sat over the winter while I was replacing the brakes. Then in October of 2022 I drove MA to CT and back, and the flutter was quite noticeable. Also did the same drive in March 2023 and it was bad then too. Hard to hold speed going up the rolling hills of I-84.

That is when I started focusing on the transmission. Fluid and Filter. No drastic improvement, but some. Recently, thinking I'll be using the truck some more this winter, I started considering the turbos (2). That is when I came across the flutter and the exact noise/symptoms the truck is having.

So, it would make sense that either the actuator or the wastegate seized up over the winter 2021-2022, when the truck was on blocks. We shall see. :unsure:

flashback

Captain
Well I'll get back in the back seat.. I'm not beholden to my 2001 GMC, most of the electronic stuff has failed long ago and I'm just waiting for the lights to burn out..:)

ezbtr

Commander
It doesn't sound good. Hoping to not add that issue to my 2013 150 Ecoboost.

Mine is in to have the Molded Leadframe replaced in the transmission. Started not shifting and dropping most the electronics off on the dash. Stealership is charging $1,300 for that.

I also have the timing chain / Cam Phaser rattle at startup. They are willing to fix that for a little over $6K. I'm still debating if this will happen. Also considering a reman install that should have all the updates to avoid further issues.

My first Ford truck in twenty years. Might be my last one too.

The more I read about the Ecoboost the less I like it. Those GM 35O's would run all day and night.
I got my 2012 eb 3.5 done (lead frame whatever, electrical lines that run thru tranny and screwed up shifting) for free from dealer 3 ish years ago w/ 95K on it, was nice cuz I got a free tranny service too :) they have a tsb/warranty/recall on it fixed it perfect

tpenfield

Staff member
Fingers crossed 🤞, but it is fixed. . . :)

I hooked up my pancake compressor, set it to 20 (ish) psi and exercised the wastegate actuators. The right (passenger) side of the engine was fine. The wastegate moved and retracted as it should with pressure & relief.

The left (driver) side, the actuator barely moved. I tested the actuator for any air leaks (nope). So, I gave the wastegate lever hinge some PB Blaster to loosen it up. With a little bit of coaxing, the actuator and wastegate arm started moving as they should. So, I gave the wastegate mechanism a bit of a workout with 'squirts' of pressure.

I took the truck out for a test drive and the noise and flutter is gone. The truck accelerates smoothly . . . and . . . quite well I might add. (y)

I guess I don't need a new tranny after all . . . :LOL:

ezbtr

Commander
Fingers crossed 🤞, but it is fixed. . . :)

I hooked up my pancake compressor, set it to 20 (ish) psi and exercised the wastegate actuators. The right (passenger) side of the engine was fine. The wastegate moved and retracted as it should with pressure & relief.

The left (driver) side, the actuator barely moved. I tested the actuator for any air leaks (nope). So, I gave the wastegate lever hinge some PB Blaster to loosen it up. With a little bit of coaxing, the actuator and wastegate arm started moving as they should. So, I gave the wastegate mechanism a bit of a workout with 'squirts' of pressure.

I took the truck out for a test drive and the noise and flutter is gone. The truck accelerates smoothly . . . and . . . quite well I might add. (y)

I guess I don't need a new tranny after all . . . :LOL:
I LOVE posts like these!!!! Congrats!!

ezbtr

Commander
Also these EB 3.5 TT's have gotten GREAT results in longevity, a neighbor has 200K and another got 310K bwfore trade in - my 2012 is at 100K no issues but previous owner (only one) used synthetics(Royal purple etc) in EVERYTHING and I do same, getting full synthetic engine oil in 2 days :)