Extracting oil through dipstick pipe- I/O

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank1492

Seaman Apprentice
My tech says it's completely acceptable to suck oil from my engine by firmly attaching the extractor intake tubing to the top of the dipstick pipe. He says it is not necessary to run tubing through the dipstick pipe to the bottom of the oil pan. Engine is 4.3l 1989. Comments? (Thanks.) Frank

Alumarine

Captain
Yes that works fine. The tube goes almost to the bottom of the pan.
Or the top of your dipstick tube should be able to accept a female garden hose type fitting.

tpenfield

Staff member
The problem with running a small plastic tube down through the dipstick tube, is that you will need really small tubing and it will be very difficult to suck the oil out. So, attaching a larger tube to the outside diameter of the dipstick tube is sufficient and effective.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Oh man...I'm going to have to disagree with the above. I've tried it both ways, and although the attaching on the dipstick threaded fitting way is totally acceptable I'm sure...I prefer to have the thin hose of the suction pump/vacuum pump down through dipstick hole until I can feel the bottom of the pan....once empty and drawing air...I wait a while yet...pump again...once drawing more air...I pour a bit of fresh oil in until I see that pumping out too.
Maybe I'm being silly, but I hate the site of mixed used and clean oil showing on dip stick, just a few hours after an oil change. Just being fussy I suppose.
Just for notes...I've also changed the oil using the drain hose out the bung hole on the hull....will never be doing that again. Takes ages and also didn't notice any more oil extraction than doing it with the above method.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Merc put the dipstick tube all the way to the bottom specifically so you can pull the oil through it. If you don't like old oil on the dipstick, just blew compressed air down the tube when you've finished sucking the oil out.

Chris.

drolds72

Seaman Apprentice
My 350 Mag came with a drain tube from the pan that I believe was designed to drain out bilge plug- I took my mercruiser dipstick pump and adapted it to the end of that tube with a couple of brass fittings Sucks it dry when oil is warm....

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
I use a "sacrificial" $30 shop vac for fluid extraction. It has roughly 1000 times the suction of other pumping methods, measured scientifically:D

Put the nozzle over the dipstick tube, wrap duct tape around it to seal the dissimilar hole size, and slurp away. Works instantly for emptying master cylinders when changing brake fluid also. I store mine in a Hefty bag when not in use.

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought a pump from ebay that is capable of running dry which is nice. Its attached to a tank and is the type that goes all the way down the dipstick. You have to get oil really hot though, 800 rpm. Idle rpm wont do it.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I use a "sacrificial" $30 shop vac for fluid extraction. It has roughly 1000 times the suction of other pumping methods, measured scientifically:D

Put the nozzle over the dipstick tube, wrap duct tape around it to seal the dissimilar hole size, and slurp away. Works instantly for emptying master cylinders when changing brake fluid also. I store mine in a Hefty bag when not in use.

My $100+ Moeller fluid extractor died last year after only a few years of use. I'm going to give your method a try. I just bought a small $30 wet/dry shop vac just for oil changes. I'm eager to see how it works.

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I undo the nut on the oil pan and let it pour out then suck it out of the pan.
Admittedly not all setups allow this

09TNRT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a cheap, like 7 bucks, oil extractor from northern tool. It only holds I think 2 quarts at a time but I was shocked how well it works. It pulls just about every drop out, when it gets almost empty I can hear it sucking through the oil cap. Definitely puts quite a vaccum on the crank case.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I fabbed up a garden hose adaptor for my Topsider vaccum pump and its way faster than the little tube that you slide down the dipstick tube.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
+1 on getting it good and warm. Mine took 40 minitues on a cool day today.

Status
Not open for further replies.