Exhaust pieces and parts

lvhdude

Cadet
Thanks for all the good advice and tips. Lou C, I once watched a short block on a test stand being spun with oil pressure to do a break in. At around 600 rpm all the pistons looked like they were all at the top of the cylinders. At 1000 rpm you could push straight down with your finger on top of a piston and it just vibrated. It would be very hard to backwash enough water up through the exhaust tubing into an open exhaust valve to hydrolock a running engine. The intake side would be a whole different story coming up on compression, but the piston would push water out on the exhaust stroke as the valve is open past tdc and the intake overlaps. Still not a bad measurement to be aware of. Thanks all!

ta79pr

Cadet
I experienced this with my 95 Four Winns 190 Horizon and Volvo 5.0 EFI at about 250 hours since new. With the outdrive trimmed up all the way, the exhaust bellows can be disconnected from the transom side to inspect inside the bottom end of the Y pipe. The flapper valves in my boat were rubber coated aluminum. One flapper came loose and partially blocked the exhaust in the transom area. This caused a significant power loss, and a loss of 12-15 mph top speed. We were able to fish a wire down through the y pipe and retrieve the flapper with the elbow and the bellows opened up. Some exhaust comes out under the transom shield around the transom anode at idle, but most of the exhaust goes through the prop hub at higher speeds. I also changed the anode and found a pin. The flapper installation includes the flapper, the pin, and the two rubber washers. A retrofit kit replaced the rubber washers with rubber flanged bushings.
The transom exhaust port is not as deep in the water as the prop hub, so less resistance for exhaust at idle. Hopefully, the hose between the exhaust elbow and the Y pipe can be positioned to cover the flapper pin holes or slots. You might also use tape and or silicone sealant on the holes according to the Service Bulletin. I experienced this also, but I was able to reposition the hose to stop the leak. Google "Volvo Penta flapper valve service bulletin" to find the Service Bulletin. Hope this helps.

The part that still puzzles me is Volvo/OMC using plastic parts in the exhaust system. These plastic parts and the rubber hoses are subjected to the water/exhaust, but generally are not compromised in normal use. Yet, if a plastic flapper comes loose and goes down to the bottom of the Y pipe further away from the combustion heat, many have said that the flapper melts and disappears.
"One flapper came loose and partially blocked the exhaust in the transom area. This caused a significant power loss, and a loss of 12-15 mph top speed." question, did you have a loss in RPM too, or just power and top speed?

4now04

Seaman
"One flapper came loose and partially blocked the exhaust in the transom area. This caused a significant power loss, and a loss of 12-15 mph top speed." question, did you have a loss in RPM too, or just power and top speed?
Normal full throttle rpm was 4600. With the flapper blocking the exhaust, the engine struggled to reach 4000rpm. The boat was sluggish gettng on plane. While the dealer was troubleshooting, the engine ran smooth, but just didn't produce normal power.

ta79pr

Cadet
Normal full throttle rpm was 4600. With the flapper blocking the exhaust, the engine struggled to reach 4000rpm. The boat was sluggish gettng on plane. While the dealer was troubleshooting, the engine ran smooth, but just didn't produce normal power.
I thought I fished out all pieces of the rotted flapper, but now wondering if there may still be an obstruction...I only get mid 30s top speed at full throttle from my 3.0. (17' fourwinns with 21 pitch prop) but now wondering if maybe my tach is off and not actually full throttle due to obstruction. Thank you for the response, it gives me another potential variable to consider.

4now04

Seaman
I thought I fished out all pieces of the rotted flapper, but now wondering if there may still be an obstruction...I only get mid 30s top speed at full throttle from my 3.0. (17' fourwinns with 21 pitch prop) but now wondering if maybe my tach is off and not actually full throttle due to obstruction. Thank you for the response, it gives me another potential variable to consider.
Tachometers have been known to be inaccurate at times. I replaced the tach in my current boat because of this. You might be able to get another tachometer or timing light with a tach readout to verify tach accuracy. You could go the www.fourwinns.com site and look for the "Fast Facts" document for your year boat. This should list Four Winns details and performance specs for your boat.

ta79pr

Cadet
Tachometers have been known to be inaccurate at times. I replaced the tach in my current boat because of this. You might be able to get another tachometer or timing light with a tach readout to verify tach accuracy. You could go the www.fourwinns.com site and look for the "Fast Facts" document for your year boat. This should list Four Winns details and performance specs for your boat.
Specs from Four Winns says 40mph with my configuration, I have never seen more than 33, gps confirmed. Interesting.