Evinrude Big Twin 35

Fishisabonus

Recruit
I've been cleaning out my dad's old shop and in the corner I found an evinrude big twin 35 motor and controller. I'm pretty sure it ran when it was stored. But God only knows how long it's been there. I'm pretty sure it was on an old wooden ski boat they had before he bought his big boat. It appears to be in excellent condition, paint

real nice and no rustI really dont know what to do with it. HELP.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It would be a 57 , 58 , 59 model.----Use it to teach the kids and grandkids about simple , rugged and reliable design.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
I've been cleaning out my dad's old shop and in the corner I found an evinrude big twin 35 motor and controller. I'm pretty sure it ran when it was stored. But God only knows how long it's been there. I'm pretty sure it was on an old wooden ski boat they had before he bought his big boat. It appears to be in excellent condition, paint

real nice and no rustI really dont know what to do with it. HELP.
visit the AOMCI's site "ask a member" where oldies get fixed up
DO NOT JUNK IT!!!
Join up and get a free 400 page + service manual to pamper your big twin

Attachments

• RED book.JPG
    RED book.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It may just need new coils..----Clean carburetor.------New water pump impeller.-----Might be a wonderful runner.

tphoyt

Ensign
I don’t think you would have any problem selling it if that’s what you wanted to do.
Especially if your in any sort of a lake region.
It’s nice to see one like that. There usually laying in a pile of brush infested with critters.
Best

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Unlike new motors that run with little oil in the mix ( 100:1 ) , these old ones used more fuel and there was more oil ( 24:1 ) in the fuel.------So these motors are often in good condition internally.

Fishisabonus

Recruit

Unlike new motors that run with little oil in the mix ( 100:1 ) , these old ones used more fuel and there was more oil ( 24:1 ) in the fuel.------So these motors are often in good condition internally.

My dad was strict on maintenanon all his things. Did that motor have a common problem. I vaguely remember my brother wanting to take it water-skiing and I think that's when he put the motor off so it wouldn't get torn up.. teenage boys can be tough on stuff.. I was going to sell it, but after wiping the dust off, it's almost too pretty to part with. And yes.. I have 3 lakes behind me. Clark county washington Swift, Yale and Merwin.

Attachments

• 20230111_180148.jpg
    20230111_180148.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 5

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Best to keep it.---Easier / cheaper to maintain than newer motors.------Few plastic parts.-----No $2000 ECU or modules on them.----Many newer motors will be tossed out due to unavailable electronic parts .

tphoyt

Ensign
If you don’t need to unload it I would hang on to it. The only only problems they had were lack of maintenance and it sounds like that was not a problem. They do like to drink the fuel but parts are still available and cheap and easy to find both new and used. They were made when things were made to last.
Enjoy it!

Fishisabonus

Recruit
Best to keep it.---Easier / cheaper to maintain than newer motors.------Few plastic parts.-----No $2000 ECU or modules on them.----Many newer motors will be tossed out due to unavailable electronic parts .

I am no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but I can look at old motors and figure most things out. When the computers take over, or crash.. that Big Twin will still go, that is as long as we can still find gas. I found some old CB radios too that I'm keeping. My dad had cool stuff! Sure do miss him.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You can find many U-Tube videos on how to work on that motor.-----You can earn a degree on motors with no tuition to be paid.-----Some videos / presenters are better than others.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
agree. The '57 electrics had chrome side trim and an electric start decal underneath. It's an easy conversion to electric starting, though, if you can scrounge up the basics (or find an electric parts motor).

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It wasn't a Decal, it was Metal Script "Electric Starting", the Decal on the front, by the Idle Mixture Knob, was "Big Twin", "Electric 35". They also had a big ugly Connector Fitting on the Starboard Cowl Pan where the Electrical Connector, was fastened. The Electrics, also had the Tiller Arm removed.