Evinrude 25 Electric Conversion

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Picked up a Johnson donor motor today. Want to put the starter and all the related bits onto my Rude. They are about the same year, but more different than I thought they'd be. The Rude is a 77, the Johnny a 78 (I think). Both have a power pack. Has anyone here tried this before? Can I just bolt up the starter and keep the pull start too? Flywheels the same?

I know the starter and solenoid will need to be installed, but not sure what else. Attaching some pics. Don't know what to do with the plug inside with the ghetto wiring and what is the canister that looks like a solenoid to the lower left of the carb for?

Attachments

• Johnson 25 HP 01.jpg
    Johnson 25 HP 01.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 8
  • Evinrude 25 Carb.jpg
    Evinrude 25 Carb.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 11
  • Johnson 25 HP 12.jpg
    Johnson 25 HP 12.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Johnson 25 HP 15.jpg
    Johnson 25 HP 15.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Johnson 25 HP 16.jpg
    Johnson 25 HP 16.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Johnson 25 HP 19.jpg
    Johnson 25 HP 19.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Johnson 25 HP 20.jpg
    Johnson 25 HP 20.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Johnson 25 Solenoid.jpg
    Johnson 25 Solenoid.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 8

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Guess I'm on my own with this one. That's OK, I'll suss it out. Just figured this was a common upgrade.

matt167

Captain
Fairly common. Parts between 2 back to back years should swap. As long as they are in the same generation. The last generation of 20-35hp came in 1977 if I recall. 1976 would be different

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
time to look at the parts breakdowns

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Anyone care to put me on the right path here by answering my questions? Sure would make my life easier!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I think looking at the parts manuals found on line , you can help yourself.-----I often post answers that are deemed suspect by novices.----Sorry to be blunt here.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Fact is, those two motors are very different. You are contemplating taking parts from one motor and putting them on a different motor. Ain't going to happen. You might be able to cobble something up but that is what you will get. Sorry.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
In 1977, the 25hp was a 22 cubic in. block, in 78 it switched to a 32 in. block. As F R said very different.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
????---in 77 the parts book shows a 32 inch block for the 25 HP.-----There may be some 22 cube engines in 77.-----Only with more pictures can we tell what you have here.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
I agree, need to do a bit more research and look at some parts diagrams. I'm fairly certain though that these two engines are "basically" identical. The change occurred in 77 and from what I gather OMC stayed with it for a few years. Spent an hour or so comparing the two side by side and the only real difference seems to be that the electric start motor has quite a bit of extra stuff to make it work. Has a whole bunch more wiring and it's all messed up in the Johnson so I'm a bit clueless what hooks up to what. Anybody have a wiring diagram by any chance?

Was a bit surprised to see the carbs have diff part nos, even though they look the same. Only real diff is the rude has a screw for adjusting low speed jet and the johnny has a knob. Think I'll go with the knob if it fits.

The air box silencer bolted right up and that's the part I really needed. Looks like the starter/solenoid/bracket will bolt right up too. The mounting holes for it are there. I'm just hoping the teeth on the two flywheels are the same so that I can retain the pull starter. Did OMC ever make a 25 that had both?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Well I'll be darned, Time to eat some crow here. The '77 was indeed the 32 cu block. Knowing that, the starter just might work on it. The main difference I see is the Johnson is what they called a "Remote Electric".

Carburetors are different in that the electric start model has an electric choke.

Time to dig in and see what can be changed over. I'm thinking it is a "Go".

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Well I'll be darned, Time to eat some crow here. The '77 was indeed the 32 cu block. Knowing that, the starter just might work on it. The main difference I see is the Johnson is what they called a "Remote Electric".

Carburetors are different in that the electric start model has an electric choke.

Time to dig in and see what can be changed over. I'm thinking it is a "Go".
The Feathers are stuck between my teeth too!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I'd like to help here, but I'm too darned sick. But it would help us all to know what the OP's goal is. Just adding a starter motor with a push button start on the cowl, of a remotely operated one with start and choke switches up front as the Johnson is?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I am not sure what the OP has in mind either.----Seems he picks up motors at yard sales / garage sales / buy and sell.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Yep you're pretty much correct R1. As usual. Just something to putter around with. Goal is to use this one on my only current boat, the Mirro. Since it's a real "beach" to pull on, I want to convert it to electric. Seems like I could get away with simply running power from the batt to the solenoid and hooking up some kind of switch to trigger it. I'd rather it not be all ghetto though.

As for the choke on the Johnny, I *think* it may have a manual AND electric. It has a normal choke for sure, but there's a solenoid attached to the carb that must do something. I just don't know what.

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
next to the carb is a choke solenoid. I'd get a momentary switch (only works when pressed in) and wire it to the battery and the solenoid. I'd do the same with the automatic choke if you want to use that, or just remove it. Also, there's the whole battery charging system. There should be a rectifier on the donor motor that probably connects to the starter solenoid to return power back to the battery. If you check to see where all the wires go on that 6 prong plug, you'll probably be able to figure out all the wires that were used for the battery/key switch/charging system and electric choke. The rectifier for charging the battery is pretty small and insignificant looking, but should stand out as a part that's on the donor, but not the one you plan to use. You'll want to keep that or else you'll have to charge the battery constantly. That'll be a nice feature if you can figure it out. I think you'll find it to be pretty easy once you jump in and get started. Looks like the only real obstacle is your hesitation in getting started.
Go for it! You've got this, and we're here to help. We can handle specific questions once you get started.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
years ago i swapped the parts to make a pull start 25 to electric start , i swapped the harness , flywheel , stator , just about everything aside from the carbs and engine block, i remember it wasn't as simple as i thought .
unlike you are doing , i went to a remote shift as well
from memory , even the lower cowl was different to allow cabling to go through.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for all the help and encouragement. I pretty much take my time with everything. Even though have done a fair amount of wrenching, I'd never claim to be a mechanic. Much better at taking stuff apart than putting it back together. I was wondering if the motor was capable of charging the battery. What does the rectifier look like? Is it an alum block with fins like in old TV sets or is it solid state, sorta like a chip or a resistor?