Eska won’t start.

nickmwelds

Recruit
Howdy ladies and gentlemen.
I have an early 70s eska 7.5hp. I have got a crazy mind boggling issues with.
The engine has great compression, has strong spark, and I squirt 2 stroke mix down its throat and I get nothing. Not even a cough. I’ve removed the keyway on the flywheel and tried the timing advanced, retarded, all over the place. I have replaced a lot of the gaskets to check for air leaks and still get nothin. I know Eska/ tecumseh are finicky little motors. Just can’t wrap my mind around this thing not even making a sputter. If anyone has ideas send me a shout.
Nick
Central TX

airshot

Rear Admiral
When you say strong spark, what kind of gap will it jump ? When you say good compression, what are the numbers ? Is it firing when the piston reaches tdc ? Put the proper key back in the flywheel, trying to move it won't help at all. Actual testing numbers are needed, not it feels or looks good.

nickmwelds

Recruit
The spark will jump a 1/2” gap. And it’s making just over 110lbs of compression. I have tried it with the key in the factory location many times.

airshot

Rear Admiral
If your numbers are accurate, it shoukd run or at least fire when fuel is put in the cylinder unless the spark plug is bad/ fouled...

nickmwelds

Recruit
I have two brand new spark plugs and got nothing.
I’ve never posted a question to any sites I’ve never had an issue like this, with anything before.
Ive restored everything from chainsaws to diesel tractors, transmission, and hydraulic systems. This is a mind F***

airshot

Rear Admiral
Has someone swapped parts on it before you got it ?? Just wondering if something was changed out from another model ?

nickmwelds

Recruit
I have checked the reed assembly and it seems to be in fine condition.
The original owner had replaced the ignition with a later model electronic version. I have since returned it back to points ignition.
When I originally got the engine I assumed the flywheel for points wasn’t compatible. Maybe magnets were in a different location. But I have compared an electronic ignition flywheel and the points style and they are exactly the same.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Is the key in the flywheels in the same position in relation to the magnets ?? Your explanation of the change over makes me suspect that there is your problem...

nickmwelds

Recruit
The original owner had tried to convert the engine to an electronic ignition. And could never get the motor to run. My initial thought was the flywheels are different. So I bought a flywheel off of fleabay that was listed as electronic ignition. The key on both flywheels is in the exact same position in relation to the magnets.
There’s always a possibility the seller from eBay was incorrect.
But I also have a functioning points ignition I have put on the motor and haven’t gotten it to fire or sputter at all.

airshot

Rear Admiral
The original owner had tried to convert the engine to an electronic ignition. And could never get the motor to run. My initial thought was the flywheels are different. So I bought a flywheel off of fleabay that was listed as electronic ignition. The key on both flywheels is in the exact same position in relation to the magnets.
There’s always a possibility the seller from eBay was incorrect.
But I also have a functioning points ignition I have put on the motor and haven’t gotten it to fire or sputter at all.
Time to make a sacrifice to the great motor Gods in the sky !!!!! Best I got....

matt167

Captain
That is a Techumseh 2 stroke that was originally manufactured by Power Products, a smaller company that Tech acquired.. at one time Tech was using their SSI ignitions on them, which is a special unit because it uses both a trigger and a charge coil, unlike a Briggs and Stratton that put a transistor on a coil for a rudimentary timing trigger… anyway point is the flywheel on the SSI usually has 2 magnets and it’s actually for low speed and high speed timing. not 100% sure on the 2 strokes. But it would probably spark and be out of time with the wrong flywheel

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
It will be awkward, but, remove the spark plug, put a timing light on the plug wire and give it a pull and see where she sparks. You could also use a drill to turn the motor over.