Eska 1945b compression test

Daddybuddy

Cadet
Hi,
Im planning to buy this eska 1945b ( 3.5 hp )at a cheap price. Do you have any idea what is the minimum compression value for this motor to start. Thanks in advance

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
I always look for at least 100 PSI. That's pretty low, but once worked on and running and warmed up a few times, it usually improves a little. Don't know if there's any specific about that particular motor though.

Daddybuddy

Cadet
I always look for at least 100 PSI. That's pretty low, but once worked on and running and warmed up a few times, it usually improves a little. Don't know if there's any specific about that particular motor though.
Thanks for the input.

airshot

Rear Admiral
If that is a single cylinder air cooled model it might be lower. I had a model from the early 60's, years back that only carried about 75-80 lbs but ran very well.

Daddybuddy

Cadet
I just went there to check the compression of eska 3.5hp. I'm only getting 50 psi. Will this type of motor run at 50 psi? Thanks in advance

airshot

Rear Admiral
Put a spoonfull of oil into the spark plug hole and pull it over a few times, now retake the compression test and see what you have...

Daddybuddy

Cadet
I never bought it when i get 50 psi of compression. I'll talk to the seller again to get a second look of the motor and do the oil test. What compression will be im looking at after that? For me to buy that motor. Thanks for all your inputs.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are better motors out there.-----That one should be a free parts motor.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yea, unless your getting it really cheap, I would pass. I bought mine for 25 bucks, compression felt good, no rust in the tank, couldn't pass it up. Replaced the spark plug and it run great, used mine on a rental boat for two years, then sold it for 75 bucks. Being air cooled it vibrated and was noisy, but it run great...