Engine steering wobble

waterinthefuel

Commander
I bought a 40hp off of Ebay and it runs like a top, but the steering is loosey goosey. It's not the cable or the little steering arm that's moving, its something in the engine. It can wobble even with all other steering components remaining stationary. Anyone know if this can be repaired easily, or at all? What causes this?

I made a video because I didn't really know how to describe it. Now understand, NOTHING else is moving. It's a stick steer, the stick isn't moving, the steering cable nor steering arm is moving at all. Yet the engine wobbles like this. There is no play in the linkage between the steering cable and steering arm, or steering arm and the connection to the engine itself. It makes it difficult to use when accelerating it twists and moves and does the same when decelerating.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You will need to make a better / longer video.----Show some different angles !

waterinthefuel

Commander
There is nothing else to see. Nothing else is moving. You can't SEE anything else moving.

Last edited:

stresspoint

Ensign
There is nothing else to see. Nothing else is moving. You can't SEE anything else moving.
nothing unusual for those motors to wobble and shake when idling , nature of the beast.
rubber engine mounts may be a bit sloppier than they were new,
swivel pin may be a little more worn than it was 20 yeas ago .
it may even need a good sync and link as all of those old motors do.

new motors are available from dealers , these days most are smooth running 4 strokes , one of these may make you feel a little more comfortable with a outboard purchase..

what i am saying is , it is an old 2 smoke out board and it will have old 2 smoke outboard issues , deal with them or buy a new one .

waterinthefuel

Commander
nothing unusual for those motors to wobble and shake when idling , nature of the beast.
rubber engine mounts may be a bit sloppier than they were new,
swivel pin may be a little more worn than it was 20 yeas ago .
it may even need a good sync and link as all of those old motors do.

new motors are available from dealers , these days most are smooth running 4 strokes , one of these may make you feel a little more comfortable with a outboard purchase..

what i am saying is , it is an old 2 smoke out board and it will have old 2 smoke outboard issues , deal with them or buy a new one .

No, it's not wobbling and shaking when idling, its when its underway there is slop in the steering and its at the motor, nothing else is moving. That's my point.